From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help opening a old .VI file

Solved!
Go to solution

HELP! I am absolutely new to the LabView world. I have an old file that essentially connects a microscope camera to a computer and records a video at a set frame/second rate, then saves the file in .avi format. Not the most complex file, unless your me trying to recreate the file. Ideally, what I would do is figure out which version of LabView I need, download, and then use the original .VI file to continue on my merry way. 

Can anybody help me figure out how I can figure out which version I need to open this dang file?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,033 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author FortheAbalone

Here you go - saved it in LV2019 (IMAQ API broken since I don't have them)

Original VI was in 10.0 version and uses all IMAQ APIs.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,032 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author FortheAbalone

The Good News is that almost any version of LabVIEW will be able to run this very simple VI, as long as you have the Vision Development Module (which I think includes a license for the Vision Acquisition Software.

The VI you attached was recorded in LabVIEW 2010.  I have LabVIEW 2021 installed on my laptop, and used it to record a 5-second video of some idiot typing on my keyboard and looking at my screen.  I was able to play the Avi it created (which let me identified the guy typing on my keyboard), but then I deleted it.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,007 Views)

Thank you for the help! That saves me many hours of staring at a computer very confused! Know that your help is going towards saving a marine snail 🐌 in puget sound, Washington State! pintoabalone.org

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(763 Views)

Ha! Much appreciated for the feedback. Thank you for the help! Know that your help is going towards saving a marine snail 🐌 in puget sound, Washington State! 😂 pintoabalone.org

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(762 Views)