From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need HTTPS to launch SMS messages from LabVIEW

Hi, all,

I'm using LabVIEW 2014 SP1 running on a cRIO 9067 to control laboratory equipment.  The LabVIEW app sends text messages to the scientists when the software triggers an alarm, by calling the system program "wget". This makes a web service call to an outside service that sends the text messages.

Unfortunately, that service just decided to restrict its inbound queries to HTTPS protocol, in the name of security.  The version of "wget" on the cRIO is:

BusyBox v1.20.2 (2014-12-08 18:04:17 CST) multi-call binary.

... and doesn't support HTTPS.

I've seen other posts in this forum that LabVIEW itself also does not support HTTPS in its own web access library, so apparently skipping "wget" and using the LabVIEW library won't solve the problem.

We are considering upgrading to a later LabVIEW version soon.  Can anyone tell me if later versions of either "wget" on the cRIO, or the LabVIEW web access library, support HTTPS?  If so, which version?

More generally, are there other solutions to sending SMS from inside a LabVIEW app?

Thanks,

-- Mark

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,754 Views)

Most cell network providers provide a means to send text messages from a computer by sending an e-mail to a specific e-mail address.  So if your phone number is 123-555-1212, on ATT you could send an email to 1235551212@txt.att.net.  The e-mail message would show up on that phone as a text message.

I think you'd have an easier time using the SMTP subVI's in LabVIEW to do that.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,672 Views)

The HTTP Client VIs have no problem to access HTTPS URLs. Have you tried that?

Sure it will probably involve hacking a little with headers to add to the connection to get the cell phone service to respond properly but it should be doable unless they use some proprietary authentification scheme like NI likes to do for their own web services.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,656 Views)