From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Necessary LabVIEW services on Windows

I think the only time you're likely to have an issue with hardware is if you're using internal hardware (e.g. PCI/PXI cards) - I use VMWare and have no problems with ethernet/USB devices. I think most modern processors (e.g. Intel Core i5/i7) can run VMs pretty quickly - you are right about the RAM though - you probably want more than 8GB of RAM so you can give 4GB to the VM.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 17
(1,731 Views)

Hardware can be a consern but as mentioned, USB devices can be virtually plugged into the VM running.  And network devices like ethernet cRIOs, PXI, or cDAQ show up as expected.  It really is only an issue with PCI/PXI devices in your host OS, which as far as I know can't be shared to the guest OS.  VMs can solve many issues, but a few do come up with licensing as well.  Some corporate networks also have limited access to PCs that aren't on the domain, and getting your VM either on the domain, or having access to these resources can make development a bit of a pain.  In some cases this might mean not haveing access to your SCC from within the VM which is also bad.

But if you want to try it out, Microsoft has several VMs that are free to download and have a trial license to try things like this out on.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 17
(1,712 Views)

@DailyDose wrote:

I guess one could configure the majority of services to do a delayed start.  That seems to help some.

Actually,  configuring many of the NI services to "Delayed Start" helps some IT departments! 😛 

Now, as to which NI services are REALLY needed?  My GUESS is most of them depending on the OS, Version of MAX, LabVIEW RTE, TestStand version, Hardware connected to the machine with IVI support and, Other Things on the machine....

I belive those people in Austin test all that stuff.  They COULD name things better!  

Spoiler
Like "Hey_DontStopThis_ServiceIfYouWantToDetectUSBDAQmx_Devices"

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 13 of 17
(1,707 Views)

Regarding the naming, to be fair the services have a description, and they do give more information than what is just in the name.   However, looking over the description does leave something to be desired.  

If NI did put in the desription of these services what functions would be disabled it would be helpful.  The one I remember running into is the NI Service Locator, which if disables will break the NI Example Finder search function (and maybe other things).  The description for this service is "The National INstruments service locator"...thanks.  Most are a bit more useful than this.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 17
(1,673 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

Regarding the naming, to be fair the services have a description, and they do give more information than what is just in the name.   However, looking over the description does leave something to be desired.  

Well, you see... I had turned off all NI services at one point and tried to turn on NI Max.  And NI Max wouldn't do just about anything.  So, after doing some reading and getting very lucky, I figured out that there were about 5 services that need to up and running for NI Max to funciton properly.  None of which by the name or the description could one really have ever known they were directly related to NI Max.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 17
(1,661 Views)

@DailyDose wrote:

@Hooovahh wrote:

Well, you see... I had turned off all NI services at one point and tried to turn on NI Max.  And NI Max wouldn't do just about anything.  So, after doing some reading and getting very lucky, I figured out that there were about 5 services that need to up and running for NI Max to funciton properly.  None of which by the name or the description could one really have ever known they were directly related to NI Max.

This sounds like a good argument for a "Services Required" item as an upper-level topic within the NI Max help.

Message 16 of 17
(1,607 Views)

NI Web Service Container.JPG

Just an example a few days later of "would be nice to know what services are required."  (Just a pre-cursor... I have also been talking abour Processes too.  I probably should have said that at one point)  This is immediately after a bootup with not a single NI application started (manually).

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 17
(1,499 Views)