From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Naming the plots in a graph

In the process of plotting the characteristics of a hydraulic pump I need to do the following :

- The pump speed is the X-Axis.
- The torque of the pump shaft is the Y-Axis.
- Set the pump delivery load at 10 Bar and start ramping the rpm from zero to 4000 rpm and when this speed is reached, stop plotting and drop speed to 0.
- Increase the delivery load to 20 Bar and repeat the plotting.
- Repeat the plots for 15 different loads upto 150 Bar.

So far no problems.

But the issue is the plot colours - all the 15 plots are of same colour and even trying to give different colours is not very effective as 15 colour shades have many that look almost same.

Is there any way to "print" a descriptive legend like "Torque at 10 Bar" on the graph after the plot finishes plotting? This legend needs to be placed at the end of that plot.

Any suggestions ? 
Raghunathan
LabVIEW to Automate Hydraulic Test rigs.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,574 Views)
You can use annotations.

Open the example finder and look at the example "Programmatically Annotate a Graph.vi".
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,572 Views)

Interesting.

The annotate functionality was the exact one I was looking for. But it appears that the "AnntList" property has been added from LV8.0 onwards. I tried to save the example for LV7.1 and the arrow broke !

Is there any such option for LV7.1 graphs ?

Thanks.

Raghunathan
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,547 Views)

Hi Raghunathan,

Annotations were not available in LV 7.x. Please see the below link to get a similar discussion on Digital Graphs.

I thought it might give you some useful ideas on how to start with...

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&view=by_date_ascending&message.id=279349#M279349

Ben has stated that annotations can be achieved using Picture control in LV 7.x, but there is no example [for 7.x] present there. Smiley Sad

Maybe you can ask him...

- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
Message 4 of 6
(2,525 Views)
"

Maybe you can ask him...

"

I'll concider myself asked. Smiley Wink

Invoke Node Get iamge will give you an image of your graph.

There are picture functions that will let you insert text and draw lines between two points. So with the proper scaling and offset (as dicated by the graph scales and image size) you can use those functions to over-lay an image with any text you want.

But if you wnat your user to zoom after-wards etc, you may want to spring for the up-grade.

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 5 of 6
(2,515 Views)

Hi Ben,

Thanks. (And I like your good sense of humour)

My user will never zoom the graph and hence I think the solution that you offered should work out - I have a client who refuses to see anything but LV7.1

Of course the facility offered by LV8.0 can never be matched and I will try to sell the idea to my client.

Raghunathan
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,499 Views)