From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Named Pipes in Labview

To locate any Microsoft .NET class in the LabVIEW class browser, do the following:

1. Find the Microsoft API reference page for the class.  It'll be in the site "https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/" somewhere if you Google it, or you can search just by going to that link.

2. Go to that page and check what version of the page you're looking at.  You want to be on the most recent version of .NET framework, but many searches will take you to the .NET core page.  Change to the correct one in the dropdown.

3. Look at the top of the page under the name of the class.  You should see something like this:

NamedPipeServerStream Constructors

Definition

Initializes a new instance of the NamedPipeServerStream class.

4. Where it says "Assembly", that is what you want to look for (minus the "DLL" extension) on the dropdown in the .NET class browser.  In this example, go to "System.Core".  Always select the most recent version if there is more than one, probably it will be 4.x.x.x.

Side note: Some classes list more than one assembly.  It's often but not always in the one with the shortest name, but it will be in one of them... you might just have to check a few.

5. After you find that in the dropdown, look in the area below and expand the heading matching the "Namespace" value, then scroll and look for the class or interface name alphabetically.

Message 11 of 14
(657 Views)

That is the tactic that works 95-99% of the time.

Somehow system.environment.version isn't found that easy. So there is 1-5% inconsistency. It's probably a macro or something... Or perhaps I had an off day. It wasn't my problem, so I did gave up after a quick look.

Message 12 of 14
(644 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

Somehow system.environment.version isn't found that easy. So there is 1-5% inconsistency. It's probably a macro or something... Or perhaps I had an off day. It wasn't my problem, so I did gave up after a quick look.

You skipped step #2 where you needed to switch from Core to Framework.  When you do that it says it's in "mscorlib", and that is exactly where LabVIEW found it.

Message 13 of 14
(625 Views)

@Kyle97330 wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

You skipped step #2 where you needed to switch from Core to Framework.  When you do that it says it's in "mscorlib", and that is exactly where LabVIEW found it.

Maybe your LabVIEW found it there, it's not there in my LabVIEW.

mscorlib is in my default search list, so I just double checked.

There is a system.environment, but it has no constructors.

Never mind. System.environment is enough to get the static property, no need for a constructor...

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(620 Views)