From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI9403 like a VDC source

Im using a effect hall sensor to mesure current through a DC motor. The sensor needs to be sourced by 5VDC, for this purpouse Im using a Digital Channel of NI9403 in a CompactRio, i dont know if is a good ideia or if i should use a external source just to provide the source to the sensor. If somebody knows something about, please help me.

thanks

SaCi

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,807 Views)

Hi SaCi,

It does not make a difference whether you use the 5V DC from a module or an external source. However, the 9403 is an all DIO board-how and what pin are you planning to use as a source? 

Ipshita C. 

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,784 Views)

Hi Ipshita_C

The DIO7 (pin 😎 to provide the source. Im use the NI 9205 (AI7, pine 😎 to get the analogs values from the sensor. For this propouses i put together the 9403 GND and the 9205 GND. Do you know if that procedure is corret?

Thanks

SaCi

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,779 Views)

Hi SaCi,

I would still like to clarify that I am understanding this correctly. Are you using the 9205 as the 5V source. In that case, what is the role of the 9403?

Ipshita C.

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,766 Views)

Hi Ipshita_C,

My corrent hall-effect sensor needs 5DVC to work and provide an analogue value between 0VDC and 5VDC proportional the current measured. So to provide 5VDC to sensor works, im using NI9403 (DIO7 pine 😎 and to get the analogs values from the sensor, im using the NI9205 (AI7 pine 8). To do that, i put together the NI 9403 ground and the NI9205 ground and i dont know if it is right. If you know something about please help me.

thanks

SaCi 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,761 Views)

Hi SaCi,

Your sensor is the input to the 9205 as I understand. That is a separate thing from the 5VDC that you are supplying to power the sensor. Therefore, your signal is what needs to be grounded. Now the source of power is coming from the 9403 so that should be grounded. Tying two ground ports together does not achieve this unless the tied wire actually goes to ground. Your cRIO power supply is grounded. So to achieve the grounding of the 9403 you can tie the ground port of the 9403 to that power supply. The 9205 does not have a role in the way you ground the signal as it is receiving it as an input. Hope this helps!

Ipshita C.

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,752 Views)