cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI488: Write detected no listeners

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello Thoric..

I monitored the memory usage for quite a a long......and it seems that at startup Labview consumes 50-60 Mb of usage memory (UM) and 150 Mb  of Virtual Memory (VM). and as the VI progress with time.....it increases to 600 Mb of UM and 800 Mb of VM. Indiacating that it is this VI only which is creating some problem.

I the previous post i attached 3 diagrams...the WTM is memory usage. LMF is the usual error which I use to get after 24-36 hrs. and incorrect function diagram is the error and in background snapshot of Block diagram which I modified as per ur suggestion.

Presently i am running with the configuration attached. and there is no error......may be on the way after 36 hrs as the memory usage is keep increasing!!

I have placed the breakpoints on the block diagram to track down the exact location of the error......and once I will get it i will let you know.

Wait for 36 hrs..... Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 15
(1,257 Views)
I monitored the memory usage for quite a a long......and it seems that at startup Labview consumes 50-60 Mb of usage memory (UM) and 150 Mb  of Virtual Memory (VM). and as the VI progress with time.....it increases to 600 Mb of UM and 800 Mb of VM. Indiacating that it is this VI only which is creating some problem.

Aha! Then this is undoubtedly a memory leak issue. In which case, you probably don't need to bother now with the error probes because we can be sure that your problem here is memory and not a possible hardware fault. Finding the source of the memory full error isn't necessarily going to help us find the point at which the memory leak actually occurs.

We need to track the memory allocations within the code to determine whereabouts the problem lies. Memory leaks are normally the result of failing to close open references, although finding the occassional faulty LabVIEW call is not unheard of either. It's not easy unfortunately, because the memory leak could be as small as a few kilobytes each time, ultimately adding up to hundreds of megabytes as the hours roll on.

You could start with this link, and maybe also searching for memory leak Hygroclip

There's also a Request Deallocation function you could try inserting into your hygroclip vi to attempt to release any redundant memory allocations. Make sure it runs last.

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

Message 12 of 15
(1,253 Views)

Houston - we have a problem.

I took your code and disabled the .NET calls, replicating any return data. I then ran the code at max speed, achieving 32hrs worth of iterations (115200) in a few tens of seconds. The memory allocation of the vi did not change. Therefore, I would conclude that the problem lies within the Hygroclip .net dll, or perhaps in the LabVIEW interface to this, as this is the only section of code that isn't running in my test.

Can you try this also? Put a big disabled structure around the content within hygroclip.vi, and provide some constants to the outputs? Then remove the metronome from your main code to force it to run as fast as possible. Does the memory allocation problem go away?If so, you need to spend some time and effort determining the problem with the hygroclip .NET dll (are you calling it appropriately, are there methods that need calling perhaps to deallocate memory/close connections?). If the .NET dll is supplied by Hygroclip (C) then you might want to speak with their technical support Smiley Indifferent

Message 13 of 15
(1,247 Views)

Smiley Very Happy

hello Thoric..

Life is free from trouble now Smiley Happy

I tried to follwup ur suggestion of finding all the references abd subsequently closing each of them! It is working :manvery-happy:

Now the memory usage is just 30 Mb since last 24 hrs........and it is constant.

Thanks very much for ur useful tips Smiley Wink

Aditya

Message 14 of 15
(1,233 Views)

Glad I could help!

Don't forget to mark a thread as solved, and give Kudos if you think they're deserved Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 15
(1,226 Views)