LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI visa read serial looses a lot of data

Solved!
Go to solution

A baud rate that high would demand short cable length and premium quality cables, I would think.  Are you sure the hardware isn't the issue?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(478 Views)

@billko wrote:

A baud rate that high would demand short cable length and premium quality cables, I would think.  Are you sure the hardware isn't the issue?

Meaning that you should find some low capacitance cable with a matched impedance for the serial method being used.  (RS-232, RS-423, RS-485,...)

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
Message 12 of 16
(476 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

What's with all the "sync byte" stuff? I have never seen anything like that before...

SDLC uses Sync Bytes to frame packets. SDLC was an alternative to Ethernet developed by IBM back in the day. But it used a "7E" as the sync bytes so this is something different.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(460 Views)

Thank you! This has solved my problem.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(457 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

What's with all the "sync byte" stuff? I have never seen anything like that before...

Sounds like you have only used ASCII message protocols.  When dealing with binary/hex/raw message protocols, you need to have a start character, some way to tell how long the message is, and typically a checksum or CRC or some sort.  This is more common than you would think since it is a more efficient protocol, just harder for people to understand.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(447 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

@RTSLVU wrote:

... more common than you would think since it is a more efficient protocol, just harder for people to understand.

Not to mention "bit-stuffing" where the control characters are not allowed in the data stream so extra bits are stuffed in where needed to prevent those characters from appearing in the data stream.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(445 Views)