From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI taking up too much space. Moving NI Package from C Drive to D Drive?

Hi there,

As noted by the title, I downloaded a LabVIEW 2020 and Drivers Community Version. My teacher notified my class to download LabVIEW but didn't state any further details. While downloading, I noticed there are Add-Ons. At first, I downloaded the whole thing, which fills up my C drive to maximum capacity. During the second installation, I made sure to download each one by one, cautious of the hard drive space.

I looked up on the internet how to move documents to D drive, including the NI community. However, most of the solutions are limited or not working.

I did change my settings Storage into the D drive, to no avail.

I wonder if anyone has occurred this and solved the capacity problem. I would appreciate your help. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,335 Views)

You can't easily change the location where software is installed under Windows. But Windows supports symbolic links. So while you can let it appear as if everything is installed under "C:Program Files (x86)National Instruments" you can in fact create a symbolic link there that points to "D:\National Instruments" for instance.

mkdir "D:\National Instruments"

mklink /D "C:\Program Files (x86)\ National Instruments" "D:\National Instruments"

You should however start the command shell as administrator to allow mklink to work properly.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(1,309 Views)