From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI services, excessive idle CPU usage

I have Labview 2014 64-bit installed on Windows 10. I only use the USB DAQ drivers (I've never created a VI on this machine or even opened the main LabView application). This is typical idle usage - I don't have any VIs running.

This is on a 6700K and it's taking up 5 logical cores continuously. I have some questions - why is the time sync service running at full tilt?  And what are all these network services doing?

I've tried disabling all these services on boot, I've tried repairing the install via Control Panel. Neither has made a difference.

Any suggestions?

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,162 Views)

A standard LabVIEW installation launches at least 8-10 services -- if you install certain Toolkits, even more are started.  This is normal.  Occasionally, during a complex installation, a service will not be properly installed or not started, and then LabVIEW is hosed (I've been through a number of these ...).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,153 Views)

But 5 services taking up 70% of a quad CPU? I understand that there will be a load of services sitting in the background. This isn't a brief spike in activity, they run at this utilisation until I end the processes manually.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,147 Views)

I would say something is wrong with PC.

1) These services have been there for ages, they did not cause many troubles. I do not like them and disable some as Win services, but because I do not need them, not because of troubles

2) They are taking the same percentage, very suspicious. I would say variation between the numbers is what they usually take. They are requesting something common, that process works, but time is added to the parent services. Try to pause antivirus for example.

3) Search indexer, Antimalware are writing to disk at several MB/s. Is it their normal rate? It is not normal. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,138 Views)

Search index is probably high because my disk space is very low. Neither the indexer or the antimalware executable are using that much IO bandwidth, any more, I probably just caught it during a scan. Disk means read or write, and I would expect a system scan to perform heavy reads.

They're taking the same percentage because that's 100% CPU use on one logical core (it's effectively an 8 core system, so 100/8 = 13).

I would guess a dodgy Labview install, but I'm curious to see if there's a simple fix.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,124 Views)

Josh,

Can you try LabVIEW 2015? 2014 is not listed as compatible with Windows 10.

Windows Version Compatibility with LabVIEW

steve

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the forum when you get help. Click the "Solution?" icon on the reply that answers your
question. Give "Kudos" to replies that help.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,099 Views)

I'm using NI with VS2013, not coding in LabVIEW and getting max'd out CPU usage.  This has happened before, some time ago and I think that I stopped it.  It started again today, with no warning, so unless something has been changed without me doing anything with the NI installation.  Guess that it's an issue with NI's code.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,414 Views)

I think that I have worked out that it was due to the temporary use of a VPN yesterday.  After using it and then reverting to a normal internet connection, the NI CPU usage went thru the roof.  I stopped and restarted NI PSP Service Locator and it seems OK.  I think that's what happened last time too.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,399 Views)