LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI's move to subscription software

partner licensing is different than non-partners... so the move to subscription is not really a problem to most parties

CY (expired CLAD)
0 Kudos
Message 51 of 73
(2,204 Views)

@cy... wrote:

partner licensing is different than non-partners... so the move to subscription is not really a problem to most parties

It's really that simple, right?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 52 of 73
(2,197 Views)

It appears so... to some at least...

CY (expired CLAD)
0 Kudos
Message 53 of 73
(2,193 Views)

@cy... wrote:

It appears so... to some at least...

I'm guessing that the vast majority of LabVIEW licenses belong to companies with absolutely no interest in selling their services; therefore, becoming an NI Partner does not interest them.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Message 54 of 73
(2,181 Views)

I am leaning more towards the idea that the subscription model is to "encourage" more users to join/become Partners

CY (expired CLAD)
0 Kudos
Message 55 of 73
(2,168 Views)

@cy... wrote:

I am leaning more towards the idea that the subscription model is to "encourage" more users to join/become Partners

Interesting take on the reasoning.  It could be a valid reason that would fall into the #2 reason in the original post, but I believe that would be a risky gamble.  I still feel like this is a fleecing of their loyal customers.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Message 56 of 73
(2,110 Views)

If this is the strategy.. it would for sure not grow the user base...

There is a **small gap** between using LV for the first time and becoming a partner...

Myself, I am only using it for 25 years.. still far away from becoming a partner in my case.

---

25+ years long fan of LabVIEW. Be aware that NI changed their business model with great impact .
Message 57 of 73
(2,104 Views)

@Bill, by #2, do you mean this?

They create an ongoing dialog and relationship between a company and its users. This allows the company to better understand how its products deliver long-term recurring value to its users. When our products are built better, it enables you to do your job better, and you, your company, and your customers all benefit.

no... I don't mean that at all... although the users in that reason seemed to referring to partners only

actually, my hot take on this is more like "more partners to promote 'other' products". partners have obligations, whereas the non-s are free to work with any vendors. hence, more partners can "leverage" LV to its full potential.

2cents, perhaps should invest more time to find out why the non-s are not using the 'other' product, or at least "listen" when the reasons are given, sometimes it could be easy to fix since it is "software-defined" anyways... rather than switching to the subscription model to raise the barrier for the non-s

CY (expired CLAD)
0 Kudos
Message 58 of 73
(2,053 Views)

Yea... no. 
LabVIEW is already dying and I think NI knows it. None of the new engineers I've met in the last 5 years use it. Most of them have heard of it but no less than half of them have seen it in use before getting out in the field. Heck, I don't know anyone under 40 who develops in it seriously. 

I don't believe this pricing model will attract anyone new and will drive some number, perhaps insignificant, to transition away (we're transitioning to python as LV 2021 ages out). But it will squeeze more $ out of the large number who can't change because of momentum or are too entrenched in the ecosystem to get out.

I also have little faith the claims that the subscription model somehow translates into improving LabVIEW more than history has already shown us. But hey... if you have that kind of trust in your heart, God bless ya.

Message 59 of 73
(1,330 Views)

Also using subscription software from Adobe after I had used onetime paid licences for dedicated software packages for many years I can say: Not good. I despise it.

Adobe's the best example of how it shouldn't work. Subscription causes the software manufacturer to bring out new versions way more often which then have more bugs left over than ever before. Never have there been so many releases in a few years. NI has also started to bring out a new LV version every year, but for what reason? Just to keep their (probably growing number of) programmers busy?

The question for me is: Will NI do it like Adobe? One subscription model only for all tools at once, even if you don't need 99% of them? I hope, not.

0 Kudos
Message 60 of 73
(1,263 Views)