cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI report generatation toolkit upgrade

Solved!
Go to solution

Hey there,

I have some old VIs that used to be in the report generation toolkit(1.0.x) I need to modify and upgrade.

Generate Report Set Modified Data.vi

Generate Report Get Data to Modify.vi

Generate Report Get Data.vi

seem not to exist anymore in the labview 2011 report generation toolkit.

I can grap an old library that I have on another PC that includes those missing VIs but then I have an issue with

Generate Report objectrepository.vi that is password protected and not executable.It prevents those VIs from execution.

Found some NI froum discussions from years ago on Ni forum and a link from NI website but could not find any viable solution yet.  http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/0C7100D6E9E4783B862575070055A499

I just wonder if there is anyone who already modified some VIs probably with the new activex calls to replace with those missing vis and managed to make the update successfully?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,105 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author sezergin

Hi sezergin,

I think that although they are no longer on the palettes, they are still included in the report gen toolkit 2011. I found them on my file system under C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2012\resource\importtools\NISH Report. Try pointing labview to use these VIs, they should have the same functionality as they did in previous versions.

There are usually other ways of producing this functionality using other VIs in the toolkit, which is why they are no longer included, but if you are upgrading an existing piece of code, you may wish to just keep it as it is.

All the best

Ian S
Applications Engineer CLA
National Instruments UK&Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,085 Views)

Thanks Ian,

It was what I had been looking for,

I have an another issue I am trying to solve right now.

Due the changes made in the new version of the VIs it uses report references from different `generate report object reference.ctl` that belongs to NISH.lib.

You can have a look at the attachments for a better understanding of the difference in those ctl files.

Is there anybody found a solution to this convertion problem?

Thanks

Sezer

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,054 Views)

I have the same problem from LV8.5->LV 2011.

Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,968 Views)

I was able to hear back from back from NI R&D about the difference's between the Report Generation Toolkit
(RGT) and its references. While the intent was not to break any old code, they did decide to change to a object-oriented approached for the RGT. The RGT references have been changed to lvclass type instead of refnum, and it does not look like there is a conversion.

As for the NISH Report, it is provided so older applications do not break, but they still recommend converting your application to the newer VIs for the future. We do not seem to be able to find any documentation on the NISH Report library though, so I would still reference your old help documents when using it. R&D did say that the VIs should work for Office 2007 and earlier.

Since our application used standard report generation toolkit and ended up with .csv file I just used my own library within my new labview 2011 sp1 application(with each vi and ctl names uniquely assigned as they get mixed up with new RGT) created from RGT vis for labview 6.1 except the broken and password protected vi `generateobjectrepisotory.vi` that you can now find the working revision under NISH.lib. 

This solution worked for me. Hope it helps you.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,954 Views)

I downloaded Labview 15.0.1 to use with a labjack.  I found the first two, "Generate...", was well as "tables.vi".  

However, I can not locate "Generate Report Get Data.vi".  When I go the location you mentioned, I found the first 2 as there are 9 'Generate...', but not the last one in question. "Tables.vi" was also needed, I found this under utilities.  I have searched my C drive and "Generate Report Get Data.vi" is no where.  I have also searched another version of Labview 2016, no luck.

I am looking for a download or any possibility into finding this last .vi needed.  Thank you for any insight.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,389 Views)
According to this http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/0C7100D6E9E4783B862575070055A499
The said vi no longer exists: Normally, LabVIEW automatically updates VIs so that applications developed with previous versions of toolkits will use the most up to date versions. However, these VIs do not have an updated version and must be manually replaced or removed.
Thanks
uday
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,382 Views)

Thank you for the prompt response.  So there is nothing I can do then?

The program runs fine in a legacy application on its own, but I was hoping to run the program in labview.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,376 Views)

If anyone runs into this in the future, I was opening the files wrong, as I was trying to open from the folder location in a directory.

Tools Tab then LLB Manager... opens LabJack VIs. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,323 Views)