From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-VISA

Solved!
Go to solution

Oke I didn't know that. I thought RS-232 are the old cables (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-232). Anyhow, I am not sure how to check what kind of adapter I have, can you tell me how? If this helps, I am trying to use the USB ports of my laptop. I use a Lenovo TP X1 Extr. G3 i7 32GB/1TB LTE 4K.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 33
(1,318 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 33
(1,318 Views)

The focus should be more on the device you connect to the USB (and possibly to the OS you are using), not on the USB itself.

Paolo
-------------------
LV 7.1, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2021
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 33
(1,308 Views)

As Paolo already mentioned, the USB port and therefore the laptop you use is pretty much irrelevant. (It could have an influence but then you would likely see other problems with other USB devices too). The interesting aspect is your device that you connect to the USB port, be it an explicit adapter or a device with USB port that implements an USB-CDC (COMM) device class. 

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 33
(1,310 Views)

Oke I can check the device's specification tomorow. Altought, I dont think this is the problem since, the usb can not be accessed via NI MAX with the VISA test panel, no mather if the device is connected or not. I also tried to use a different IMU sensor. I had the same problem.

It used to work on an different Laptop with Windows 7. I am currently using Windows 10.

On the old Laptop I could access the USB port via VISA test panel in NI MAX. It didn't matter if a device was pluged in or not.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 33
(1,305 Views)

That definitely makes no sense. USB devices are Plug and Play devices. They are only present in a system when plugged in!

what you describe sounds more like a special driver that can be installed under windows and installs a static device that then translates the serial port commands into whatever the actual device needs (likely a proprietary USB protocol). Sounds like a roundabout way to go about this but I have seen stranger things. This special driver hasn’t been (correctly) installed on your Windows system, or it’s not Windows 10 compatible. Windows 10 requires device drivers to be signed in order to allow installation of them, so maybe that is your problem.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 33
(1,303 Views)

So how do I solve this? Do I have to update the USB port drivers? It tells me that I have the most recent version installed.

Is there some dummy device that I can use as a plug an play and test if VISA works there? I have tried to plug in USB memory sticks and File Explorer recognises them but NI VISA can't access them.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 33
(1,291 Views)

At this point, I have no idea what is going on here.  Is it even supposed to show up as a COM port?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 33
(1,283 Views)

It might be very helpful, at this point, to open Windows Device Manager, expand the section where your device is located (is it even "Ports"?), open the device's "Properties" dialog, choose the "Details" tab, select "Hardware IDs", and post that back to this group.  The vendor and device IDs would be critical for us to know, to offer further suggestions.  Actually, info on the loaded driver would be important, too.

Dave

David Boyd
Sr. Test Engineer
Abbott Labs
(lapsed) Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 33
(1,273 Views)

@jgent wrote:

So how do I solve this? Do I have to update the USB port drivers? It tells me that I have the most recent version installed.

Is there some dummy device that I can use as a plug an play and test if VISA works there? I have tried to plug in USB memory sticks and File Explorer recognises them but NI VISA can't access them.

You clearly have not a good idea what USB means.

Imagine people talking. USB is the air and the sound vibrations of speech that are transported through it. But some people talk English, others French and some more Chinese. They all use the same medium (air) to transport the speech over, but they do not understand each other. This is the same with USB.

USB is the cable and basic protocol in how the bits and bytes are transported over it. But there are many different languages. One is called USB-HID (Human Interface Device) which is used by keyboards, mice and joysticks. Another is USB-MSC (Mass Storage Class) which is used by your USB memory stick. Then you have USB-CDC (Communication Device Class) which is usually used for RS-232 virtual ports. Then there is USB-TMC (Test & Measurement Class) which is similar to CDC but specifically for measurement devices with extra IEEE-488.2 compatibility.

NI-VISA only can talk USB-CDC (through the OS native COMM port API) and USB-TMC. All other USB languages are for NI-VISA simply Greek! So you can plug in 500 USB memory sticks if you want but NI-VISA can't do anything with them. Neither can it do anything with keyboards, mice, cameras, your audio speaker or anything else you can connect to USB unless it is an USB-TMC device or an USB virtual COMM device.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 20 of 33
(1,270 Views)