From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-VISA on Snow Leopard - installation fails

Installation of the GPIB drivers gives a few errors, but the process completes.

NI-VISA (4.5.1 I think) installation fails on Mac OSX 10.6.1 right at the end. I am using the LabVIEW 2009 Evaluation dmg.

NI-VISA Configuration tool quits upon launch. 

Message Edited by m-s on 10-25-2009 03:58 AM
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,872 Views)

m-s,

You might want to take a look at the info in the KB below. It's written for DAQmx Base, but it applies to VISA 4.5.1 in general.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/D1E6B4A19D76C2B58625763F00570E34?OpenDocument

Regards,

Song Du
Systems Software
National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,847 Views)

Hello,

Thanks. That let me complete the installation.

However, the NI-VISA Configuration tool still quits upon launch.

Is there a time frame on when LabVIEW will support Snow Leopard ? The new OS has been out since the end of August, and developmental versions have been out for months before that.

I should amend that question - the issue is VISA. LabVIEW development system appears to work fine. Since I am evaluating LabVIEW, I cannot actually test whether the Mac version can be actually used in a lab setting with GPIB-USB-B NI interface (that we use here). 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,821 Views)

Hello m-s,

Officially we have not announced when Snow Leopard will be fully supported.   I understand that it is a very nice operating system and you would like to use it, but because of the system architechture changes, we have not fully tested everything.  I recommend going here and clicking on this space indicated in the picture to file a product suggestion.  The more of these that come in, the quicker this will be addressed.

ScreenShot030.png

ColeR
Field Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,792 Views)

Done that.

Keeping fingers crossed on a quick update.

As it is, the evaluation is useless without working drivers. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,759 Views)

m-s,

The GPIB-USB-B interface was never supported on Mac. Even after we release the VISA version with Snow Leopard support,you still may not be able to use this product.

The supported interface is GPIB-USB-HS. Although we do not claim official support yet, the NI-488.2 driver was tested to work with this device on Snow Leopard.

Regards,

Song Du
Systems Software
National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,733 Views)

Oh, well that settles it.

I guess we will have to find a linux machine for this (the use of windows is forbidden in our lab). 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,727 Views)

Hey m-s,

I'm not sure if you're still checking this post, but if so please shoot me an email at justin.ewasko@ni.com regarding this forum post. Thanks!

Justin E
National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,215 Views)