cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-VISA is not available in the installer

Hello,

I am facing the following issue:

I am using Labview 15 and NI-VISA 18.5

I create an installer for another machine without LabView installed, adding also NI-VISA Runtime engine.

After running the installer on a fresh new machine (without any NI installations) I can't find the VISA Test panel for interfaces in the NI-MAX so I guess NI-VISA is not brought together with the rest of the tools.

Note: The project requirement is to bring the whole suite in one single installation bundle and not installing NI-VISA afterwards.

On the development machine I can see the below red marked VISA button but on the fresh new machine it is missing.

NI visa missing.png

What could be the reason?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,713 Views)

In my Additional installers list (in project installer configuration) there is VISA run-time 14 and VISA configuration support 14. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,682 Views)

Also in my project installer configuration there is VISA run-time 18.5 and VISA configuration support 18.5 and I am adding them to the bundle, but when I am installing it on a new machine the NI-VISA isn't available. 

The different versions btw LV and VISA could be the reason?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,636 Views)

Probably.

NI-VISA and LabVIEW Version Compatibility

This chart is based on compatibility between VISA an the LV development environment version.  But I suspect it would apply to the LabVIEW run-time as well.

Unfortunately it doesn't talk about VISA 18.5.  (chart needs updating for that and LV 2019)

Have you tried installing an older version of VISA on your machine?  You may need to uninstall VISA 18.5 first.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,610 Views)

In this idea people complain they need to install Full VISA to have test panels now. 

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Automatically-include-the-VISA-test-panel-in-installe...

Also from here: https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019LltSAE&l=en-US

"Make sure that if you need the drivers for development that you are not downloading the driver labeled "Runtime". The runtime version will allow the computer to detect the device but will not show configuration/debug options for it, such as VISA Test Panels."

There is also "NI-Serial Configuration" that I install. See the list of installers, versions and deployment system screenshot that has test panels.

Installers.pngINSTALLED.png

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,596 Views)

I have included all your suggested installers also additional ones, but unfortunately when I am installing it on a new machine the VISA test panel  does not show up anymore even if on the development machine it is present:

fresh new machine snapshot:

Test_panel_missing.PNG

Development machine snapshot:

dev_machine.PNG

By the way, have you tried to install your created bundle on a new machine?

it seems there is no solution for this: https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/How-do-I-install-VISA-Test-Panel/td-p/3771465?profile.language=en

In any case I am sharing what I was included in the additional Installer:

add_runtime1.PNG

add_runtime2.PNG

add_runtime3.PNG

P.S. I have no idea how to install (from the official NI site) an older version of a tool (e.g. NI Serial Configuration 14.0). I have a 15.0 LW DVD installation kit and Device Drivers. But when I want additional tools via NI Package Manager it takes the last version of the tool, not giving me the opportunity to choose the version. 

Any idea will be highly appreciated,

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,575 Views)

https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/downloads/drivers/download.ni-serial.html#306213 you can choose version to download.

Yes, the screenshot is from development machine, with installer from screenshot above. Actually I do not know why does it have visa 17.0 entry in MAX, NI has checked for the update of components during installation.

Looks like full visa with test panels has sneaked in somehow as dependency of the installer.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,552 Views)