From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI VISA Issue with USB

Hi,

I am trying to detect a Lecroy oscilloscope connected to my computer through USB port. When I go to VISA interactive control through NI MAX and click on the USB address of the oscilloscope it gives the error in the attached screenshot and then VISA crashes. What could be the reason? It is detecting all the GPIB ports without any issue. This issue comes only when I double click on the instrument addresses connected through USB. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sachin Madhusoodhanan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,886 Views)

Lecroy has "issues" with their LabVIEW drivers.

I fought an issue for weeks trying to connect to a Lecroy scope via Ethernet.

I don't know if it will help your issue, but I found that the VISA Reads and Writes had to be set to Synchronous mode to work with the Lecroy.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,814 Views)

Hi RTSLVU,

Thanks. How to set the VISA write in synchronous mode? Can you please let me know?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,807 Views)

Right click on the VISA Read or Write primitive and you can select synchronous or asynchronous mode from the popup menu.

The VISA default is asynchronous, I don't know if there is a way to set the mode globally but I would think there would be someplace in NI-MAX.

I just opened NI-MAX and found installing LV 2017 hosed NI-MAX on my development system and I get an error about the MAX database not running when I open it.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,802 Views)

Hi,

Where is this option for read/write primitive? Is it in the VISA interactive control? I just observed that when I click on the USB devices in the VISA interactive control, VISA crashes. It is ok with GPIB though.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,793 Views)

Hey,

Its working now. I upgraded to VISA version 16.0 from 14.0 and now its detecting the Lecroy Oscilloscope connected through USBTMC. Not sure, what was the issue with 14.0.

Anyways, thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,779 Views)