LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI USB-8451 I2C Error -301708 hang up application

Hi We are having problems with this module, it was working well during the last year, but currently is failing  hanging out the application, then is necessary unplug and plug again, others close the LabVIEW application and others restart NIMax or restart the computer, it has been painful, because it is used in line running 140 units per hour.
We have tried different computers, Windows XP, Win7 and Win10, NIMax version 13 and 15, Drivers for NI8451 (different versions) but still the same (The software is under LabView 2013.)

As clue when it starts communication, fail like the I2C data can't be retrieved, it fails showing error -301708 on function "NI 845x I2C Run Script.vi :6110001"

Last year we bought about 12 modules, I have trayed with a new one but, still the same problem.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,622 Views)

Timeout error while running a script...

First thing I would do is try to manually do your script steps to make sure your UUTs are responding correctly (use the 845x I2C functions instead of the script).  By going slower, perhaps you can find where the hangup is happening.  As part of that process, make sure the script is actually correct.

I doubt this is the issue, but still worth checking: Starting with Windows 7, there is a setting where Windows will randomly turn off a USB hub in order to save power.  Go into the Device Manager and make sure this is disabled for all of your USB ports.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,581 Views)

Hi   Knight of NI, thanks for your feedback.

We are using NI examples VIs to read/write and its been working for about 1.5 years,

the difference now a days is that we are finding defective EEPROMs.

So after trying to communicate with a bad unit, for the next one (no matter if is good), the USB-8451 is hanged and is necessary unplug and close the software and some times restart the computer.

Looks like the NI-8451 keeps data on buffer, and is not delivering.

Regards, JLV

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,571 Views)

Hi Knight, it is fixed!!,

The issue is when the I2C device under test is damaged (open-short circuit) between SCL or SCK,

the USB-8451 do not clear the buffer, so to fix that is necessary close both instances

Thanks to the help of Erik ( Field Engineer Application from NI).

Is necessary Close both instances

i2c script reference out

device reference out

Using same vi two times (NI-845x Close Reference.vi)

See examples attached to read and write.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,553 Views)