LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI USB 6216 - not detected - WIN10

Hi all, 

I am unable to achieve connection with NI USB 6261 on my new laptop with WIN10. I hear "connecting sound" every time I connect USB cable to the USB port, but card is nowhere to be seen. NI device monitor nor Windows device manager can see it. Card is fully operational, and works just fine with old WIN 7 laptop. I guess it has something to do with firewall settings and blocked ports. It seems I need UDP 44515, UDP 44525 and TCP 44516 ports open, but apart of that I am just lost. Any help is appreciated.

SekelCZ

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(1,196 Views)

Hi Sekel,

@SekelCZ wrote:

I am unable to achieve connection with NI USB 6261 on my new laptop with WIN10.

I guess it has something to do with firewall settings and blocked ports.

Why do you thinkn of a firewall problem for a simple local USB connection?

Does MAX recognize the device?

Did you install needed drivers like DAQmx?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(1,188 Views)

Hi, 

device is not recognized by anything, NI-MAX included. NI-DAQmx version 21.3 is installed. According this page NI-DAQmx Device Support for Selected Hardware - NI, USB 6216 device is supported. 

SekelCZ_0-1646144005295.png

Earlier, I installed the most recent drivers for my laptop from DELL website. Today I performed hard reset + unplugged battery for 5 minutes. No success.

Somehow, I cannot google anybody with the same issue. And I have more fresh new laptops issuing the same problem. That's why I believe it has something to do with IT policy. But you are right, UDP/TCP ports are wrong call. 

SekelCZ 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(1,166 Views)

My guess is towards IT policy, recently more and more IT folks have been blocking USB ports completely to avoid employees using any USB flash drive of any sort.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(1,162 Views)

Yeah, me too, but I would like to find out the rootcause. I cannot go to IT and say "Hi, our corporate IT policy prevents me from using NI USB cards" (technically I can, and I did, it just triggers painful and not always successful chain of actions). In ideal case, I would like to ask for specific action/permission/access to make it run. Is it possible that USB drive write permission rights can affect this?

SekelCZ  

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(1,152 Views)

I have some update to my case. 

I am able to connect to some other NI USB cards like NI6343 without issues. When connected, I can see the card name in device manager under "NI Data acquisition devices".

But when I connect to NI USB 6216, all I can see is "USB Firmware loader". See the picture in attachment, please. I tried to uninstall the "USB Firmware loader" drivers, but after restart and NI USB 6216 reconnect, situation stays the same. 

Any idea how can I force NI drivers instead of those generic ones?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(1,086 Views)

Is this just a one system issue or consistent across multiple systems? just checking to see if the 6216 is corrupted.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(1,059 Views)

I can connect to NI USB 6216 from other laptops, so I guess the card is doing just fine. 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(1,049 Views)

Maybe a corrupt driver on Windows? would suggest a system restore.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(1,044 Views)