From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI USB-6215

Hello,

I'm using a NI-USB 6215 card to power the circuit in the picture (although the same issue occurs with the 6008 card). I'm trying to set the analogue out value to 5 V and more however the Voltage readout won't exceed ca. 3.2 V. The card is fine when not being used to generate a voltage for the current readings. The manual states that this card should be able to handle 50mA and I'm only drawing 6mA. I gather I can use an external 5 V supply which may help but was surprised that this problem was occurring.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this issue?

Regards

Stephen 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,152 Views)

Attach the manual that says this card can output 50 mA.

When I searched for the specs, I found this http://www.ni.com/documentation/en/multifunction-io-device/latest/specs-usb-6215/specs/

It says overdrive current 2.4 mA.

DAQ cards aren't meant to power circuits.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,123 Views)

Your circuit would work better if you used a Digital Output for the LED control and sink the current (not source it).

---------------------------------------------
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
There are two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,103 Views)

The +5Vdc terminal on the device will output 50mA but the analog output channels will only drive 2mA.  These devices are not meant to power circuits. 

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,099 Views)