From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI USB 6000 Hardware

I have  NI USB 6000 hardware. I want to generate a 0-5V pwm signal from the digital i/o pins. Is it possible to do so using that hardware? I assume since its digital its only can pwm 0-1 only. Please correct me if I am wrong as I am new to this.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,975 Views)

According to the specs, the digital I/O is software times.  http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/211872

So I'd say no, you are not going to be able to create a PWM signal unless the pulse widths are long enough that software timing can generate them.  (Such as ON, wait 5 msec in code, OFF wait 10 msec in code, repeat, for a 33% pulse width at 15 msec per cycle.)

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,961 Views)

The voltage on the ni usb 6000 is going to be -10-10V so your pwm is going to be 0-10 on or off right? Otherwise it seems possible to me.  Here is a link to get you started in labview.

NI PWM Example

[Edoit] Ravensfan is correct if it is software timed though.  You will need to do the timing in software.

-Matt
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,959 Views)

I read the data sheet it says that signals of +-10v can be measured on the analog input side. So I assume the PWM of 0-10 On/Off can be generated using the digital I/O pins. What does software timing exactly means here? is it like a delay between the signal when its rising and when its falling?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,949 Views)

Hi pk4,

so you read the AI will read ±10V signals - and from this fact you assume the (unrelated) DIO will also work with ±10V???

Why don't you read the specs for the DIO pins? They are very clear with mentioning TTL and LVTTL! Also there is a clear spec on DO capabilities…

What does software timing exactly means here?

This means there is no hardware-driven clocking for those DIO pins available: you cannot set a sample rate to read DI signals at a certain rate. All you can do is reading/writing one sample with simple software timing. Due to this the DIO pins allow only ~100Hz samplerate…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,942 Views)

My bad. Thanks for correcting me. So in the data sheet I see Digital Output( Active drive) and Digital Output( Open collector) what exactly is the difference?. The digital input has a voltage range of 0-5 V.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,932 Views)

Hi pk4,

the DI allows TTL levels (0-5V), while the DO works with LVTTL levels and only tolerates TTL levels.

When you don't know, what an "open collector" is, you should read Wikipedia or a good electronics book!

For a first glance you could also read the manual of your DAQ device - you surely did this before, don't you?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,924 Views)

Basically whether a digital output actually outputs the current at that voltage or absorbs it.  Google for the differences between source and sink for digital I/O.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,923 Views)

Hi GerdW,

I am a Mechie, but thanks I would surely read about it. Yes I did read it but it was a different one and dint specify so many details.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,918 Views)