LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI Shared Variable Service (NITaggerService/SVE) doesnt always start with windows

Why is that service so flakey? It just wont start on my test deployment machine maybe a third of the time causing my auto-starting app to fail to launch. W10Pro, LV Runtime 2016, service is set to Automatic, obviously.

I had to make a scheduled task that calls a batch file on logon to enforce "net start NITaggerService" -- now it seems to behave but Im still testing. 

Really, though, NI - should put some safetys in your RunTime engine to ensure all your bells and whistles actually function as intended before critical systems are fired up.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,633 Views)

As long as it is configured correctly it should at least try to start up. Have you taken a look at the windows event log to see if it logs the unsuccessful attempt and gives a reason why?

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,577 Views)

There was nothing about that service failing, but randomly the PSP service (which SVE depends on) would fail in the log. But when I would check the services when in a failed state, PSP was running and SVE was not. I had set recovery on the PSP service and the SVE service to auto-restart in case of failiure and that didnt improve things. I've now got a batch file that runs on startup (simply calling net start NItaggerservice, which will attempt to auto start the PSP if it isnt running) and it seems to be coming up now every time.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,559 Views)

When you say the PSP service would randomly fail in the log, is this only after you turn the computer on for the first time still? Or is it failing later in the application as well? 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,535 Views)

Only on boot. And as I said, would always be running by the time I checked in services addin. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,530 Views)

I see. We can definitely dig deeper and try to understand what is going on, if that is your end goal. I would like to warn you, however, that since this is not widespread, our final result will likely be your work around, or something similar to get it up and running reliably. With that in mind, would you still like to keep digging and troubleshooting this issue?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,526 Views)

I'll let the matter rest and see if the workaround solves everything, and come back for some advice if it doesnt. I sincerely appreciate the help, however.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,523 Views)