LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI Service Locator on RT systems?

Note: Theoretical query since no RT hardware available for testing this.

I know the NI Service Locator is a Windows service that maps Service Names to port numbers for UDP/TCP for NI products. Is there a sister service that runs on the RT systems and do they speak with each other to synchronize port numbers of same-named services? UDP packets contain port numbers, not service names.

In other words, if I specify a UDP connection to a RT app with my own special ServiceName on a Windows host app, will the RT app connect to that ServiceName/port if the RT app was listening on a UDP connection opened with the same ServiceName? The examples reviewed used hard-coded port numbers and the Named-Service example ran completely on the Windows side. One might ask why would I want a Named-Service associated with an RT app, well, remember...theoretical and also to allow the OS to pick the port used.

My primary RT experience is with FieldPoint (6.0.6 & 6.0.9) and no such labeled modules were listed in the cdf files (\Program Files\NI\RT Images\FieldPoint Predefined Software Sets\<version>) unless it is now included with Web Services (as indicated for LV2010).
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,948 Views)

I've tried using the connection by service name before (as have some colleagues of mine) and it never seemed to work with RT,

I may be remembering wrong, but I don't even think that I got it to work from one computer to another (only on the local machine).

Chris
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(1,943 Views)