From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI Package Manager - how to select installation folder

I am trying to upgrade my LabVIEW installation from version 2018 SP1 to 2019. It seems to be possible using NI Package Manager only. The installation is in user-selected folder. However, the NI Package Manager did not upgrade it but left the current installation as it is and made a new installation in another (default) folder. So I uninstalled it, tried again with an intention to choose the destination folder manually but I failed. The NI PM does not ask to choose an installation folder. I tried to download the "offline" packge but it works the same way.

How can I force the program to do an upgrade and not a new installation? How can I choose the installation folder? Or is there a standard Windows Installer version available?

I use 64-bit LabVIEW and Windows 7 Professional OS.

Thank you for a help in advance

Miroslav

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,057 Views)

Is 2019 available yet?  It is release with NI Week.  But officially that starts Monday, May 20.

Do you really want to install 64-bit LabVIEW?  Unless you have special requirements needing extra memory, the recommendation continues to be work with 32-bit LabVIEW because that has the fullest set of toolkits available to it.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,038 Views)

Thank you for the fast response.

I see. I had to reinstall the drivers due to some problems and noticed, that 2019 version is available, so I wanted upgrade LabVIEW first to ensure correct installation of the support files. OK, I will wait a bit.

As for the 64-bit version, I switched to it quite a long time ago; something went better with it that time, I do not remember exactly what. I have never needed the unavailable tools since then so I keep using it...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,023 Views)

I too am in this same need. In my case it's due to low space on drive "C" (drive "C" is SSD type). So, I rephrase the question - how to change the NI Package Manager installation location and also the applications installed there (I want to install DAQExpress)?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,928 Views)

Let me try to make sure I understand what you are asking since you did not provide much detail:

• You want to update to the newest LabVIEW version
  • You want to remove the older version of LabVIEW (because of space limitations)
  • You want to change the install location (why do you want to do this?)

Is this correct?

If so:

• Delete the older version of LabVIEW. This assumes that you were using a recent version of LabVIEW and that you are not upgrading from a really old version of LabVIEW. If this is a really old version of LabVIEW you may need to convert your software to a newer version to support the newer version of LabVIEW.
  • Install the new version of LabVIEW ( I would leave the directories with the default directories)
  • Open your old code with the new version of LabVIEW. If the code is not too old it should automatically recompile with the newer version of LabVIEW.
  • Save your code and you are ready to go.
Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,913 Views)

If LabVIEW were a standalone application like a game or something, i would support moving it, but there will be a lot of things that could be looking for it, and maybe some of them have a hardcoded path to it.  (Like maybe poorly written programs.)

Safest to let something as complicated as LabVIEW reside in the default folder.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,901 Views)