From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI PXIe-8115 2.5 GHz Controller OS upgrade

The controller, bought 10 years, ago has Win7 32 bit on it.

Does anyone know if it's ok to upgrade to Win10 64 bit?

George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(1,052 Views)

You can if you're confident that the hardware specifications can comfortably run Win10 64-bit.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(1,025 Views)

@santo_13 wrote:

You can if you're confident that the hardware specifications can comfortably run Win10 64-bit.

I don't know.  That's part of my question.  Is this controller compatible with Win10 64bit?

George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(1,004 Views)

The cpu is 64 bit capable, so I think you will be okay. 

Message 4 of 11
(996 Views)

It has an Intel Core i5.

The controller has a LabVIEW 2014 motion-vision application on it.  Fail to capture a lot of images at expected rate.  That's why it needs an upgrade.

George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(987 Views)

Well i5 should be more than fine to upgrade to Windows 10. However expecting Windows 10 to fix your performance problems is possibly a bit blue eyed. It may have a positive impact for instance with never improved network drivers for your hardware. At least I assume you use GigE cameras.

Other possible "improvements" could be to go to a newer LabVIEW and especially IMAQdx driver version.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(981 Views)

The major issue may be with your processor, the i5-2510E. It only has 2 cores and has a maximum memory limit of 16GB. Depending on the size and rate of your image acquisition, these may be limiting factors.

Specs for the processor here

Message 7 of 11
(979 Views)

I have experienced Win10 lag significantly with 8GB or less RAM whereas Win7 is comfortable with 4GB.

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA03q000000YHpFCAW&l=en-US

santo_13_0-1654701695465.png

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(974 Views)

@mcduff wrote:

The major issue may be with your processor, the i5-2510E. It only has 2 cores and has a maximum memory limit of 16GB. Depending on the size and rate of your image acquisition, these may be limiting factors.

Specs for the processor here

I vaguely remembered there are some limits of this controller.  Thanks for remind me.

George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(964 Views)

@rolfk wrote:

Well i5 should be more than fine to upgrade to Windows 10. However expecting Windows 10 to fix your performance problems is possibly a bit blue eyed. It may have a positive impact for instance with never improved network drivers for your hardware. At least I assume you use GigE cameras.

Other possible "improvements" could be to go to a newer LabVIEW and especially IMAQdx driver version.

I didn't tell you the whole story.

I'm trying to upgrade one of our product: https://www.gsystems.com/energy-oil-and-gas-testing

It's one of oldest model.  Over last 10 years, we build newer system with different model/version of NI hardware/software.

The application runs ok on a new system.  So I am trying to update hw/sw to match the development system.

The problem of Win7 32bit is that it allows only 4GB memory to each application.  64bit OS doesn't have this limit.

You are right about the GigE camera.

We have newer version of software built with newer LabVIEW / IMAQdx.  But I am afraid it won't work on this old system.

Thank you.

George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(942 Views)