LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI PXIe-6738 not detected by LabVIEW MAX and connector query for NI PXIe-6535

#########  I have already posted this query in PXI section. Here I am re-posting to get possibly deeper insight#########

Hi all,

I am new to PXI and not so aware of the rules of the forum. So please don't mind my silly mistakes.

I am using NI PXIe-1062Q Chasis (connected to a Dell workstation Precision 1700) with the following modules :

1. NI PXIe-8381

2. NI PXI 7851 R

3. NI PXIe-6738

4. NI PXIe-6535

In my workstation, I have plugged in the PCIe-8381 module for connecting NI PXIe-8381 to the computer into a PCI-E Gen 3 x16  slot. Now here are my questions :

Q.1. On Opening LabVIEW MAX I see the PXIe-1062Q Chasis with all modules except NI PXIe-6738. I have put the NI PXIe-6738 in slot number 3 which is a hybrid slot. MAX is seeing it as an empty slot. Am I doing something wrong by putting it in hybrid slot? Why NI PXIe-6738 is not being recognized? Also in Windows Device Manager it shows an unavailable driver for "PCI Data Acquisition and Signal Processing Controller". Are these problems linked?

Q.2. With my NI PXIe-6535, I have received the NI CB-2162 connector. I do see some output pins but I am not sure how to use them for DIO purpose? The manual mentions using header receptacles, but I donot know any vendor which sells the compatible connector with BNC output. What I want is that I should be able to take the Digital output from NI CB-2162 (via header receptacles) to a BNC cable to my devices which have only BNC ports. Similar the BNC cables would also carry input to NI CB-2162 (via header receptacles). Any suggestions here?

I would be happy to answer any more clarifications. Thank you for the wonderful support I have always received from NI community.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,105 Views)

Hello RRI User,

For Q1, can you check if you have the latest version of DAQmx and MAX installed on your PC? It is possible that your module is newer and not supported by the drivers you currently have.

For Q2, you connect the CB-2162 to your PXIe card using the 68-pin connector. Then it looks like you can use a ribbon cable or a "wire-wrap" tool (which I have never done) to connect to the specific IO pins that you need. You could connect your BNC cable by getting a BNC receptable, and solder wires from there, and connect to the pins you need. You can mount the BNC receptable in an enclosure to make it look a little more professional. If you want something quick and easy, just snip a BNC cable and solder directly onto the wire, but this won't look too nice.

Message 2 of 5
(3,062 Views)

Hi gregoryj,

Thanks for the suggestions.

For Q.1. I will try your suggestion and report back.

For Q.2. I have found some soultions :

• These twisted pair jumpers from NI (LINK). They are compatible with CB-2162. I am not sure how I would attach the other end to a BNC head. So suggestions are welcome.
  • This Screw Terminal Block (LINK). On this page they say that it should be compatible with NI 6535. I am using NI PXIe-6535 and I think the two are same. Can someone confirm to reassure me that I can order this Screw Terminal Block ?

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,048 Views)

Yes you can use the connector blocks to expose the terminals, but it does not come with any BNC terminals installed.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,035 Views)

Hi gregoryj,

Thank you so much!

The answer to Q.1. was exactly what you said. I updated everything and now MAX recognizes all modules. I have even started to test my FPGA card  NI PXI 7851 R.

The answer to Q.2. I am still not sure whether I can use that particular box to which I have posted a link in my earlier replies. However, I have some plans to tweak the NI CB-2162 to make it usable. Lets see how it goes.

Wish you Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 2018!

I have one more question which I am going to post soon.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,016 Views)