From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI MAX not recognizing NI USB Hardware

Hi there, recently my LabVIEW installation was corrupted. After reinstalling everything, my NI USB hardware is not being recognized properly. I am using a cDAQ 9171 Chassis with thermocouple card and a USB-6009. The cDAQ chassis shows up correctly in device manager, but the USB-6009 shows up as "flash firmware loader". In NI MAX, they both have USB identifier strings after them (ex: cDAQ-9171 USB/VID_3923&PID_75F0\01EB18CA) which I've never seen before. I don't have any of the normal configuration or test panel options.

I am using LabVIEW 2016 with the Aug 2016 Device Drivers on a Win10 PC. I have tried the usual troubleshooting of:

• Force reinstall by running the installer setup.exe with /reinstall flag from command prompt.
  • Full uninstall (with some errors) followed by Revo Uninstaller to clean up any remaining registry and file info
  • Reinstall LabVIEW and Device Drivers
  • Install NI Package Manager and run the "repair" tool

Most of what I have found says that the devices are not recognized because NI Device Loader service is not running. I have verified this is true. When I try to start the service I get Error 1053: service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely manner.

Is there anything else to try besides just reformatting the PC and starting over?

Thank you

Message 1 of 10
(1,722 Views)

Have you tried with a newer version of the DAQmx drivers.  I would think DAQmx 19 would still work with LV 16.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(1,685 Views)

Not yet, I am currently installing DAQmx 17.6 through NI Package Manager, because NI tech support said that the package manager is most effective at repairing the packages that it installed, not components from standalone installers.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(1,681 Views)
After installing DAQmx 17.6 I'm still seeing the same issues.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(1,666 Views)

Hi Gregory,

Did you try using an external USB HUB and all NI hardware connected to that hub?

There  might be a problem with the current USB port.

Regards,
Srikrishna

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(1,622 Views)

Hi Srikrishna,

I am using a USB hub, but I have been using the current hardware configuration for the past 6 months without issue. It is only after the corruption that I am having issues. I have just begun to restore Windows 10 to factory settings, then I will reinstall all the NI components and hopefully the issue will be gone. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(1,593 Views)

After resetting Windows 10 (with the "remove all files" option), and reinstalling LabVIEW 2016 / Device Drivers Aug 2016, the problem still persisted.

Then I installed NIPM and used that to install DAQmx 18.0, and finally my devices are recognized. I think even after resetting Windows 10 there are still some lingering driver associations, because another device which I normally have to install a driver for the first time I connect it to a PC, was recognized correctly without installing the driver for it.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(1,569 Views)

I feel your pain!  When LabVIEW 2017 first came out, I went through two (you'd think I'd have Learned My Lesson after one!) "Format the C: Drive" repairs on my personal Desktop and Laptop after NIPM messed me up and I blew the "uninstall" option (by trying to get a "clean" Registry).

So I skipped LabVIEW 2017.  LabVIEW 2018, I tried again.  I managed to get it installed, but it wasn't pretty (but I did learn about how to safely remove NI Software in the NIPM era ...).

When 2019 was first released, I wanted to add it to my existing LabVIEW 2016/2018 systems.  It took months, working closely with NI Technical Support (who were very helpful and very patient).  They told me to remove everything, install LabVIEW 2019 first, then 2018, then 2017, then 2016, and then Device Drivers (for 2019 only).  I scoffed, because I "knew" you had to install "oldest first".  Sigh, wrong again.

So I now have my work-critical PC with only LabVIEW 2019 (SP1) (and am forcing my colleagues to run this, as well ...).  My personal laptop has 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019.  I dare not install LabVIEW 2020 (except on a VM, where it seems to work without problems).

The Scuttlebutt is that NI has changed their "compatibility" rules.  Drivers are now (supposed to be) backwards-compatible (so install the most recent) for at least 3-5 years (I've heard varying lengths of time).  Similarly, some versions of LabVIEW packages also seem to play well across Versions, and it does seem to work to install "newest first", a definite change from the pre-NIPM era ...

But LabVIEW installation still remains not for the faint of heart (I volunteer to do it for my colleagues and students ...).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(1,562 Views)

Hi Bob, thanks for commiserating with me. I rarely run multiple versions of LabVIEW on the same PC (though I know others have had success with it) and I thought I had the installation process down to a science. But if you want to reinstall LabVIEW software, it is very hard to work with a PC that has corrupted uninstallers, and I think the fastest option is to just start fresh.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(1,558 Views)

@Gregory wrote:

Hi Bob, thanks for commiserating with me. I rarely run multiple versions of LabVIEW on the same PC (though I know others have had success with it) and I thought I had the installation process down to a science. But if you want to reinstall LabVIEW software, it is very hard to work with a PC that has corrupted uninstallers, and I think the fastest only (in my humble opinion) option is to just start fresh.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(1,543 Views)