cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI MAX can't find the LAN (ethernet) device

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

Recently , I have bought an Gaussmeter IGM11 to measure the magnetic intensity. I try to establish a communicate with LAN (ethernet) between PC and IGM11. I have set static IP address to my PC as well. My pc has 192.168.222.004 and Gaussmeter IP address is 192.168.222.003. This configuration works well with the companies software even showing some result in company software.

I close all applications on my pc and used Command prompt to check the status of LAN communication with the command 'ping', it's working well.

when I come to Labview, I am trying to configure IGM11 to PC with the help of NI MAX. I try to communicate with NI MAX by adding TCP/IP instrument but no response from the instrument, just its showing visa sesson couldn't open. Please could you help  me. 

Thanks

Vijay

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,444 Views)

I have lots of Ethernet interfaced instruments that do not like to play nice with MAX.  This happened to us a few weeks ago with a Keysight 5071C network analyzer.  We tried a few times with max and gave up and used the IP address in the target software.

If so just use TCPIP0::192.168.222.3 for the visa resource name where the trailing character on TCPIP0 is zero not the letter o.

Figure below is the code that I use all of the time when trying to check out command syntax.  Putting *IDN? in the write string usually gets a return of the instrument information.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,437 Views)

@Tom_Powers wrote:

Figure below is the code that I use all of the time when trying to check out command syntax.  Putting *IDN? in the write string usually gets a return of the instrument information.

NI-MAX can only identify an instrument on Ethernet and IEEE common commands (like *IDN?) only work if the instrument is LXI and IEEE 488.2 compliant. 

I couldn't find your device with a quick Google of "IGM11 Gaussmeter". Tell us the exact make and model.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 3 of 7
(4,404 Views)

Hello,

Thank you so much for your reply Tom Power and RTSLVU. IGM11 Gaussmeter is a measurement instrument use to measure the Magnetic flux density. Instrument has three slots for the communication interface (USB, Ethernet and Serial cable RS-232), so I am trying to use Ethernet cable to communicate with the device. For the communication I have to send SCPI commands to the device

For hardware configuration I am using NI MAX, with the help of Ethernet cable I am trying to establish a communication between IGM11 and PC. As you can see in my previous message  “Couldn’t open VISA session….”. I have read and following NI manual of basic Ethernet communication for NI VISA. I don’t understand why is showing error when I try to connect the device in NI MAX.

Company has provided a demo software for Ethernet communication, it’s working with Ethernet cable but when I try to use same communication on NI MAX I was getting error.

For your reference I am attaching the LAN details provided in IGM11 Manual could you please check it and also the SCPI commands I am using for Gaussmeter.

Thank

Vijay

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,386 Views)

Hello,

Thank you so much for your reply Tom Power and RTSLVU. IGM11 Gaussmeter is a measurement instrument use to measure the Magnetic flux density. Instrument has three slots for the communication interface (USB, Ethernet and Serial cable RS-232), so I am trying to use Ethernet cable to communicate with the device. For the communication I have to send SCPI commands to the device

For hardware configuration I am using NI MAX, with the help of Ethernet cable I am trying to establish a communication between IGM11 and PC. As you can see in my previous message  “Couldn’t open VISA session….”. I have read and following NI manuals of basic Ethernet communication for NI VISA. I don’t understand why is showing error when I try to connect the device in NI MAX.

Company has provided a demo software for Ethernet communication, it’s working with Ethernet cable but when I try to use same communication on NI MAX I was getting error.

For your reference I am attaching the LAN details provided in IGM11 Manual could you please check it and also the SCPI commands I am using for Gaussmeter.

Thank

Vijay

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,360 Views)
Solution
Accepted by vijay0507

The manual that can be found is a bit sparse with specific information to how to communicate to it through Ethernet. It says that it supports SCPI like commands but only details how to do that through RS-232.

The only thing I could find is that it supports RFC-854 aka Telnet over Ethernet. This is absolutely not the same as LXI or VXI-11 as it is often called. And VISA knows two types of TCP communications. One is the TCP-INSTR resource type which requires a device to implent the LXI/VXI-11 standard to be recognizable. The other is TCP-SOCKET which only defines that communication is through TCP-IP but everything else is up to you to implement correctly. TCP-IP has no built in facility to discover random devices. That is the task of higher, application specific protocols such as LXI/VXI-11. Telnet has not any discovery facility in itself either. And MAX, respective NI-VISA does not know about the zillion possible protocols on top of TCP-IP. Either a device supports LXI/VXI-11 and can be discovered as INSTRUMENT or it doesn't and can not be automatically discovered by MAX/NI-VISA.

Your device does only support Telnet if the datasheet can be believed. That means it is up to you to write a LabVIEW driver to correctly communicate with it. Most likely once you have connected to the right port number (most likely 23 for Telnet) you should be able to send it commands and receive answers. But there is no automatisme here. It is all up to you to do the right thing!

You can create an explicit TCP-SOCKET resource in MAX or simply use one in LabVIEW to pass to the VISA functions. The syntax is "TCPIP::<hostname>::<port>::SOCKET". The hostname you have to find out from the settings in the instrument, the port number should be 23 if the manual is to be believed. And then you should be able to write the SCPI commands to it as indicated in the manual and receive responses. Do not forget to append a carriage return and/or linefeed to every command you send. This is the character (sequence) that is send to the device when you hit the enter key in a terminal session and is typically the indication to a device that the command is complete and can now be parsed.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,346 Views)

Hello rolfk,

Thank you so much for your indetailed explanation. I am trying the the way you suggestion in NI-MAX and LabView. I have creat the explicit TCP socket resource in NI-MAX but it was not taking the RAW socket and getting error. 

I have tried with out configuring into NI-MAX; I have directly written or pass syntax (TCPIPO::192.168.222.003::23::SOCKET) to VISA function (Visa resource) in LabView though its not getting configured into Labview, getting errors. Could you please tell me do I need to install any driver for my instrument. I am attaching the picture of my program for your reference. Looking forward to hear from ypou soon.

Thanks

Vijay

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,265 Views)