From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI Linux Real Time Target discovery in MAX

This question is pertaining to Linux Real-Time targets.

I have a target connected directly via ethernet cable with a link-local address. I can SSH into it and see that Avahi and the RT mDNS Daemon are both running. However I cannot connect to it in MAX. My firewall is turned off. I have been looking in C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\RT Images\ to trace the LabVIEW RT dependencies and install these manually.

What is the minimum software installation on a target in order for it to be discovered in MAX?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,309 Views)

devjclark,

There is no minimum software that has to be installed on the controller to be seen in MAX, but there are a couple of troubleshooting steps in case you can discover it, take a look here.

Also, what device are you trying to discover?

Regards,

tuco100s

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,256 Views)

It's a PC running NI Linux Real-Time, not the supported Pharlap install that comes with the USB desktop utility.

And this is my problem. I have a need for Linux and LabVIEW Real-Time, not LabVIEW for Linux with the PREEMPT_RT patch.

MAX uses mDNS for network discovery, and the Avahi client running on Linux targets should identify the machine. But somewhere this link is not working.

I should have a Linux-based cRIO on the way in December, so this attempt at undocumented workarounds is over.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,248 Views)