From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI License for Sample/Educational Content

I am reviewing the license agreement (<National Instruments>\Shared\MDF\Legal\license\NIReleased\NI Released License Agreement - English.rtf) and trying to understand how to publish sample/educational content for NI software.

Suppose I am preparing some *.vi or *.seq to present something in this forum or at a user group meeting. If I understand correctly, such code is called Authorized Application in the agreement (see License Agreement 12.A). Do I understand correctly that every time I prepare such code and post it somewhere (forum, GitHub, etc.) I must include a note: "Copyright © [insert year] National Instruments Corporation. All Rights Reserved." (see License Agreement 12.B.i)?

From what I understand, posting on the forum an example is a form of Authorized Application distribution (according to the agreement). If I publish an Authorized Application somewhere as open source, do I have to ask NI for permission? What if this code was prepared using an evaluation license?

According to the agreement (the beginning of the agreement), "SOFTWARE" (NI software) includes the accompanying documentation. So, can I use screenshots from the documentation if I present or write a book about NI software? What about application screenshots, use of glyphs, etc.? Is it enough to indicate where the screenshots come from, or do I have to ask for NI's permission? What if I publish free content, and what if I charge for it?

Michał Bieńkowski
CLA, CTA

Someone devote his time to help solve your problem? Appreciate it and give kudos. Problem solved? Accept as a solution so that others can find it faster in the future.
Make a contribution to the development of TestStand - vote on TestStand Idea Exchange.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(649 Views)

You are asking a "Legal Question" (i.e. a question that seems to involve "legal issues" instead of "LabVIEW issues") that is best addressed to Lawyers rather than "random participants" in the LabVIEW Forums, few of whom are likely to be members of the legal profession (more likely, they are students, engineers, or scientists).  To the best of my knowledge, there is no impediment in presenting your work on the Forums nor in discussion with colleagues.  Clearly you are allowed to use LabVIEW to create your own "Virtual Instrument".  Should you want to sell such, your lawyer could better advise you (and would almost certainly suggest you acknowledge NI and LabVIEW).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(607 Views)

I'm asking here because:

• There is plenty of sample code distributed here,
  • Community members are involved in open source projects,
  • Community members run businesses based on NI software,
  • Community members participate in numerous events as presenters,
  • Community members publish books about NI software.

I was hoping to get some hints, not legal advice.

Michał Bieńkowski
CLA, CTA

Someone devote his time to help solve your problem? Appreciate it and give kudos. Problem solved? Accept as a solution so that others can find it faster in the future.
Make a contribution to the development of TestStand - vote on TestStand Idea Exchange.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(588 Views)