LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI Installers & downloaders do not support proxy servers requiring authentication

Hello, I'm posting this on the LabVIEW forum since it applies to the LabVIEW installer and evaluation version downloader, but it also applies to other products that use the NI meta-installer framework and other products that use the NI downloader.

We are behind a corporate firewall which requires the use of a proxy for internet access.  In addition, the proxy requires authentication, which I believe is the complicating factor.

When running an NI installer, if we check the box that requests that the installer contact NI for new notifications, this will inevitably fail when trying to connect to the notification server. 

Also when trying to use the NI downloader to download drivers or other products, the download always fails.

Most other software (e.g. Browsers, Dropbox, etc.) are able to use the proxy and allow entry of the username and password (either through a pop-up username/password dialog or configuration page).

This has generally not been a showstopper problem, but since it affects the NI installer framework it impacts many products and thus they would all benefit from a single bug fix.

Thanks,

Joe

Message 1 of 10
(6,331 Views)

Hello Joe,

Thank you for posting to our forums.

We are aware of the proxy firewall issues.  The issue with the downloader will be fixed in the next week or two.  If there is a specific update you are trying to get, please let me know and I will be happy to make sure we create a new downloader for it.  In the meantime, you should be able to download the raw file without using the downloader.

The issue for the installer will be fixed in Q3 2011. In the meantime you can visit this website to see a list of all of the installer notifications along with a chart to determine if any of the notifications apply to your installation scenarios.

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/9098

Please let me know if there is anything else we can do to help you.

Eric Reffett | Director, Product Management | 1.512.683.8165 | ni.com
Message 2 of 10
(6,281 Views)

Hi,

we are currently running into the same problem:

After entering the serial number for licence activation the installer for Labview (Full Development) on Windows7 (started from a brand new installation DVD) soon fails with the notification that "an error occured at the server". Probably, the reason is that the installer does not make proper use of our enterprise proxy server, which requires authentication. The proxy is configured in Windows' network settings.

So we have two (expensive) licenses, which cannot be installed?

Can anybody give some advice how to proceed now?

Best regards,

Christian

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(6,247 Views)

Well, the solution for the LabView base installation was to deactivate all requests for online registration and continue with the installation. When LabView is run for the first time, it offers other possibilities of product activation (e.g. using a proxy-aware browser).

Unfortunately, this option was mentioned neither by the installer nor by the  accompanying documents.

Regards,

Christian

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(6,226 Views)

Same problem, here.

Trying to download Labview 2010 64 bits, got the downloader. It fails everytime, no option for proxy or login/password.

Where can i download the full exe file of Labview 2010 64 bits, only found the downloader.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(6,042 Views)

Hi Malanar,

You can download a variety of software from the Services Resource Center after logging in using your ni.com login. In the Services Resource Center, the LabVIEW 2010 64-bit download can be found here.

Sanjay C.
Embedded Software Product Manager| National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(6,025 Views)
" fixed in the next week or two" It's been 3 years and both the NI downloader and the auto-updater are still not working with authentication proxy. A popup shows up for login and password, the NI downloader show a message "Download failed"
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(5,270 Views)

Hi GeekySeb, 

Are you using the most current versions of the NI Downloader and NI Update Service?  The problems with proxy servers have been repaired in both of them.

You can download the current version of the NI Update Service here, either by using the NI Downloader or by downloading the installation file directly.  This option should exist for most of our software downloads, so if the NI Downloader does not appear to be working for you then there is an alternate download option.

http://www.ni.com/download/ni-update-service-14.0/2617/en/

If none of these options work for you, I would recommend contacting your company's support group for help in configuring your firewall to be able to download NI's software.

Regards,
Kelly B.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(5,240 Views)
I have the same issue with every version of NI Downloader and NI Update Service. I just tried with NI Update Service version 14.0.0.59 (as per the link above) and I still have the issue. It is very likely a URL blocking in my company proxy configuration. How can I instruct my IT department to configure the proxy for use with NI Downloader and NI Update Service?
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(5,222 Views)

I solved the same problem with shuting down the windows firewall for a moment.

I also work in a network with special proxy settings. (Port 80 blocked)

(There is of course the possibility to add programm exeption in the windows firewall settings, to allow internet access...)

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,442 Views)