From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI Elvis III Board

Hello, I am using in the lab a 32-bit NI Elvis III data acquisition board, and the 32-bit LabVIEW is constantly crashing due to its small memory (i have a lot of data to be stored at once). So is there any way I can use the 64-bit Labview on this DAQ board? Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,853 Views)

Read the specs of the Elvis III.  It runs a 32-bit OS, NI Linux Real-Time (32-bit).  Furthermore, it has only 0.5 GB of volatile memory, which is undoubtedly the cause of your problems.

Because the Elvis III runs its own version of LabVIEW RT, you can "pair" it with a PC running LabVIEW (even 32-bit!) and gain a very powerful system -- the Elvis doing data acquisition and control at an impressive sampling rate (approaching 1 MHz) and streaming the data at TCP/IP speeds to a host PC running LabVIEW on a 64-bit OS.  Even then, unless you need to work with "all of the data all at once" (as opposed to, say, streaming it to disk and doing off-line processing or simultaneously monitoring and displaying), you probably don't need 64-bit LabVIEW.

Of course, you'll need to be reasonably proficient in LabVIEW development (perhaps a skill set sufficient to pass a CLD exam) to tackle LabVIEW RT ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,838 Views)

I forgot to mention that I have a sampling rate n > 2.4 MHz. Im trying to get rid of unnecessary data through the process, but still I need more memory. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,834 Views)

@asf17 wrote:

I forgot to mention that I have a sampling rate n > 2.4 MHz. Im trying to get rid of unnecessary data through the process, but still I need more memory. 

Then you probably need different hardware.  The following are from Elvis III Specs on the Web (you might have a "more powerful" model, I suppose ...).

Memory

Nonvolatile

1 GB

Volatile

DDR3

512 MB

Clock frequency

533 MHz

Data bus width

16 bits

Analog Input

Number of banks