LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI Devmon hook for USB 5861

Just to prove the world runs on serendipity after working through this thread.  Where the OP wanted to automatically assign aliases to USB Devices.  I found myself using the exact same solution to hook through devmon and run launch some nice utilities that automagically assign aliases for both the 6008 USB_MFD and the 8541 USB_SPI.  This makes moving fixtures with USB resources in them between several test systems rather convinient.  once you build the utility edit the registry and select always do this for this device when devmon pops up the device association wizard.

To really get to nirvana though I want to do the same thing for the USB 5861 power meter.  Where is the magic switch that tells devmon to pop-up the association wiz for 5861's?

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,101 Views)

Hi Jeff,

I don't believe that this is possible due to the fact that the USB-5681 does not show up as a DAQ device in device manager, but rather it shows up as a COM port. Howver, I've escalated your question to our R&D department to see if there is another way to force the device association wizard to pop up. I'll let you know if they have anything else to add.

I also found this thread on another forum with a similar generic USB device question http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10327627/trigger-an-exe-once-my-device-is-connected-via-usb in which they suggest creating a windows service that listens for device arrival events and subsequently triggers executing code. Hopefully this helps.

Regards

Doug W

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 2 of 4
(3,067 Views)

Hi Jeff,

I apologize for taking so long to get back to you. I just got word from R&D today that this is not possible as I initially surmised since the 5681 shows up as a COM port and is not handled by the device association wizard. 

Regards

Doug W

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,027 Views)

I guess that means the solution is an IE post.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,014 Views)