LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI 9870 RS232 power recuperation

Hi all,

I'm using the NI 9870 for RS232 comunication with a device,  is there any pin (when the module is powered on) to transmit 12V to the device?

Regards,

SASA

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,740 Views)

Hi SASA/saketa,

do you read at any time the manual for your hardware - as has been said to you before?

Is there any such pin mentioned?

Why don't you use the external power supply you need for the 9870 to also supply your external device?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,737 Views)

What is the meaning to trasmitting 12V to device. If you want to power then go to page 8 / Figure 1 of attached manual

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kudos are always welcome if you got solution to some extent.

I need my difficulties because they are necessary to enjoy my success.
--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,726 Views)

so if the NI 9870 is powered on, we can not have permanenet 12 V in RTS or CTS

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,720 Views)

Hi all,

can you please see the cable extension for the NI 9870 (from ethernet to RS232 plz  see picture attached).

my question is:

i'm connecting by rs232 my device to the cable (related to the module NI 9870 (which is connected to a power supply of 12V)), 

I'm wondering if any of the pin 7 or 4 will be powered on (12V)  when the Module is powered on??

is it difficult to understand?.

Regards,

SASA

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,716 Views)

Hi SASA,

you can set RTS to high/low logic level. But that does NOT mean you can set +12V arbitrarily!

Read the manuals - now you should read RS232 specifications!

You can set a voltage of about 12V on the RTS pin. But that isn't meant to power external devices as it's just a logic signal line…

You can power your devices using the power supply already in use for the 9870. Make you own cable to include power supply wires and connect it to both the RS232 port AND the power supply! Such cables are in use in many occasions, and they look similar to this

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,708 Views)

4 and 7 is DTS and RTS and this is programmatically set. and no you cant decide 12V is there or not by seeing this pin.

If you can do succesfull communication then module is powered on as you can decide based on timeout for serial communication

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,701 Views)

I also admit there might be other problem if error in communication and hence when communication occurs you can display below message

ERROR IN COMMUNICATION !
Please ensure the following:
1. COM port selection is appropriate.
2. Equipment is powered ON.
3. NI 9870 is powered ON.
4. Cable connections are proper.

I am not sure about your application

--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,694 Views)