LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI 9401 reading PWM

I have a NI 9401 in a cRIO 9045.

I want to know if I can use two of the inputs to read a PWM (2 CTR inputs) and use two of the inputs to read a simple digital input (normally DIO) on the same 9401?

I know I can configure the 9401 to read one or the other, but have not been able to figure out how to do both.

Can a CTR input be used to read a simple digital input? How?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,384 Views)

Hi versum,

using the FPGA of your cRIO you can implement any kind of functionality for your quite fast DIO module.

The cRIO9045 also supports DAQmx in the RT target: have you tried to setup your DAQmx tasks as needed?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,359 Views)

I guess I should have added, I am not using FPGA and I am using real time I/O scan. I have other modules connected to the cRIO that are setup for that.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,345 Views)

Hi versum,

@versum1 wrote:

I guess I should have added, I am not using FPGA

Yes.

(IMHO you should use the FPGA, most often you can get the most of your DAQ modules this way.)

@versum1 wrote:

I am using real time I/O scan. I have other modules connected to the cRIO that are setup for that.

The ScanEngine does not allow to mix different options within one module. Atleast this was the reason I switched to FPGA several years ago.

AFAIK you can mix DAQmx with ScanEngine (and FPGA) easily: you should manage the NI9401 with DAQmx and use the ScanEngine for your other modules. (Haven't played with any of those newer cRIO targets so far, only heard the announcements from NI and watched some webinars about "DAQmx on RT".)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,336 Views)

Unfortunately, FPGA is not an option at this time. I need the 9401 to read the PWM signal, which it can and I have it programmed to do so in real time I/O scan mode. But, when in the Counter mode, can any of the other inputs be used just to detect a high or low signal. I know the Counter mode has several options, I just don't really understand how those other selections work.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,320 Views)