cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI 9207 Voltage Drop When Current Added

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I have an NI 9207 DAQ card that I am using to measure voltage and current from an experiment. I have read before that when the current is added, it influences the voltage. I saw this happen, my voltage dropped the moment I connected a current to the card. I have read that there is a way to measure one at a time to prevent this drop, but I am not sure this is possible since I see the drop the instant I add the current. Is there anything that can be done to prevent this drop from happening?

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(1,520 Views)

Give us a description of the signal source(s)

That would make our responses much easier. 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(1,494 Views)

Hi Jay,

I have a 0-5 VDC voltage source from one sensor that shows the correct voltage in LabView when I have it connected to the first port (ai0 and ai19). When this is the only thing connected to the 9207 card, the voltage displays the values I expect in LabView, it also works properly when more voltage sources are connected to the first 8 ports on the card. However, the card also has the 8 ports for current. The moment the current is connected to the card, the voltages drops. The picture included with my previous post shows this voltage drop. The current is a 0-20 mA current and is connected in ai8 and the COM. I believe I should be able to read both the voltage and the current from this card, but I am not sure how since the voltage drops as soon as the current is added. If there is any other information I need to add, let me know. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(1,475 Views)

Hi Dylan,

@DylanP wrote:
If there is any other information I need to add, let me know.

What about a electric schematic of all the wiring in your setup?

Please draw all voltage/current sources, all wires, all sensors, and your DAQ device in this schematic!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(1,468 Views)

Hello,

Here is a schematic of what I have hooked up right now. The voltage drop occurs in the same manner whether I have one current source or more. Adding more doesn't make the voltage drop any further and adding more voltage sources the voltages are dropped the same way. For instance, if I have a 5 V source, it drops to a 4 V source when the current is added and adding another 5 V source will show as a 4V source as well.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(1,453 Views)

Could you please be more specific about the sensors and power supply involved? like the model and make, maybe a link to the manual/spec sheet?

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(1,441 Views)

TDK Lambda LS25-24 is the power supply. The sensors data sheets are attached. My flowmeter has the 0-5VDC output.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(1,435 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author DylanP

Your connections are correct except for the 0-5V signal you did not connect it to COM as suggested in the user manual

santo_13_1-1646176049082.png

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
Message 8 of 12
(1,424 Views)

@DylanP wrote:

Hi Jay,

I have a 0-5 VDC voltage source from one sensor that shows the correct voltage in LabView when I have it connected to the first port (ai0 and ai19). When this is the only thing connected to the 9207 card, the voltage displays the values I expect in LabView, it also works properly when more voltage sources are connected to the first 8 ports on the card. However, the card also has the 8 ports for current. The moment the current is connected to the card, the voltages drops. The picture included with my previous post shows this voltage drop. The current is a 0-20 mA current and is connected in ai8 and the COM. I believe I should be able to read both the voltage and the current from this card, but I am not sure how since the voltage drops as soon as the current is added. If there is any other information I need to add, let me know. Thanks for your help.

I hope you typeod! ai0 and ai8 are a differential pair.  ai0 and ai19 are not.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(1,420 Views)

Hi Jay,

No, I did not typo. ai8 is the first +- 20mA current channel and is not the negative terminal to ai0. For the voltage, ai0 is the +V and ai19 is the -V. This can be confirmed in LabView where it shows how wires should be connected for a voltage input or current input. This can also be seen in the wiring schematic I provided that shows ai8 connected to a resistor for measuring the current.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(1,389 Views)