cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI 6703 and NI 6034E wiring to NIcDAQ 9172

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I had a question on a wiring problem im having. Im trying to convert from the NI 6034E and NI 6703 to NIcDAQ 9172 with modules NI 9205 and NI 9263. How would I transfer the wiring? I know from a 68 pin board its 1 to 1, but there are 30 some odd channels in the NI 9205 and only 4 in each NI 9263 modules (I am using two NI 9263 modules for 6 different AO channels).

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,500 Views)

for example would an AI 15 from NI 6034E correspond to AI 15 channel in the NI 9205 module?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,497 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author lakersrl

Hi lakersl,

Thank you for posting on our forums.  I understand that you want to know how wiring transfers from one module to another. 

Let's start first with the 6034E to the NI 9205 module.  The NI 9205 module supports two type of wiring modes, single ended and differential.  Single Ended(RSE) wiring is when 1 wire goes to each channel and then those channels are measured from a common ground, where differential uses 2 channels for a single signal.  For example the positive of the signal that you are measuring goes to channel AI0 and the negative would go to AI8.  

Here is an excerpt from our field wiring guide about differential and single ended: http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3344

In general, a differential measurement system is preferable because it rejects not only ground loop-induced errors, but also the noise picked up in the environment to a certain degree. The single-ended configurations, on the other hand, provide twice as many measurement channels but are justified only if the magnitude of the induced errors is smaller than the required accuracy of the data. Single-ended input connections can be used when all input signals meet the following criteria.

• Input signals are high level (greater than 1 V)
  • Signal cabling is short and travels through a noise-free environment or is properly shielded
  • All input signals can share a common reference signal at the source

Differential connections should be used when any of the above criteria are violated. 

With differential or single ended you have to make sure that you set your task in LabVIEW or Measurement and Automation explorer to be differential or single ended.

That being said for differential wiring check out the 9205 manual on page 12. For single ended connect the positive channel to whatever channel you are trying to measure and then the negative to the com.  An easy check for if you want to make sure that you are wiring something correctly, is to create an analog input task in Measurement and Automation explorer and then choose whether you want Differential or Single Ended (RSE).  After choosing this you can then look at the connectiion diagram at the bottom of the screen and it will show you exactly how to wire your device.  

For the output of the 9263 you can wire the AO0 as the positive and the COM that is directly below for the negative for your output.  That goes for all the channels.

As for your other question as if this is a one to one or not as in AI 15 to AI 15, this is all in how your program is reading the channel.  You will have to specify in your program which device and which channel in your device that you are reading, so you can set it up any way you like.

I hope this helps,

Brian P.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,473 Views)

Thank you. Your post was extremely helpful!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,469 Views)

I had another question though, The diagram wants me to connect the positive port as well as a negative to different channels. Some say use specific channels for negative, ie AI 21 for example while others just say use the com. Can I just use the com for all the channels?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,468 Views)

this is with the RSE specification

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,467 Views)

i specified RSE in my DAQ assistant, but cant figure out how to do it in MAX

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,466 Views)

nevermind, figured it out