LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI 6501 DAQ not always recognized in MAX.

OK Thanks for that clarification. But what does doing that do for me? Will that fix the problem, AND more importantly, how do I do that with XP?

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 17
(822 Views)

@hammer3 wrote:

OK Thanks for that clarification. But what does doing that do for me? Will that fix the problem, AND more importantly, how do I do that with XP?

Most likely the problems you see are caused by the OS shutting down power to the HUB.... The following Article I wrote explains it in detail.  XP Device manager will look slightly different but the idea and method is the same.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In this topic we will discuss some of the common problems that have been observed using USB devices with LabVIEW on Windows operating systems.  Many of these points are also applicable to other environments but the examples will be use the Windows 7 OS.

FAQ 1 : My USB device stops working unexpectedly.

The first thing to look at is the OS power saving options.  There is a global trend towards developing "Green" electronics and energy star ratings are getting fairly common.  "If its not being used shut it off" is nothing new.  Cavemen learned how to bank a fire to preserve energy that would otherwise be wasted.  Likewise, the Windows OS has a power saving feature to shut down power to the USB hubs when no user activity is present.  In Automated systems this feature can cause problems since removing USB hub power will shut down the USB device.   Solution: Use the device manager to change the USB hub Power Options.

FAQ2: I set the power options and my device connection is still unreliable: Remember, those computer USB ports are often the cheapest that can be mounted on the chassis and share the PC system power supply to supply USB Power. Most uses of USB are temporary connections like a thumb drive or a camera.  These connections do not require high reliability since the user is right there interacting with it.  Power surges and fault tolerance at worst cause the operator to retry the data transfer.  Automated systems require a bit more robustness.  Solutions:

1) ALWAYS use an external self powered hub.  Perform your engineering due diligence and inspect the devices specifications too- If you can't find them for that device that should clue you to seek an product from a vendor that WILL publish their specs.

2) High noise environments require the use of ferrites on the USB cable- and don't buy the cheapest cable either! The cheap ones are poorly shielded.  

3) PROTECT the HUB connections-  If you have a USB2.0 device and Joe User plugs in a 1.0 device in a open slot managed by the same hub- Bingo every port on the hub may back convert to USB1.0.  WORSE there are a lot of damaged or marginally engineered USB devices out there.  Joe User's device may cause power fluctuations when it is inserted or removed from the hub just don't let it happen!

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 17
(805 Views)

That looks reasonable for many USB dropout problems, but in my case I have LEDs on my hub showing hub power and an LED for each DAQ connected to it, and these lights are always on when the problem occurs, suggesting the OS is not shutting down power.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 17
(799 Views)

I did erroneously disable my NI Device Monitor (not Manager) and just enabled it. Could THAT have caused all the problems I had above?

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 17
(768 Views)

@hammer3 wrote:

I did erroneously disable my NI Device Monitor (not Manager) and just enabled it. Could THAT have caused all the problems I had above?

YUP!

Devmon is fairly necessary

Message 15 of 17
(766 Views)

@hammer3

Is the solution sfrom jeff-P-Bohrer olved your problem?

Because i have the same problem here.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 17
(675 Views)

Cloud,

It is never wise to troubleshoot the general case.  What worked for Hammer bay be very different from what you are seeing and more details are needed.

Are you using LabVIEW?  Is NI DAQmx installed? What are the windows power manager settings (assuming you are using a windows OS) for the USB Hub?  What versions of LabVIEW, NI DAQmx, MAX? Is NI Device monitor running? 

And then we can get to some of the rare things that might happen with odd combinations of the above and BIOS settings that might think the device is a HID on obsolete HW

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 17
(670 Views)