From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI 6501 DAQ not always recognized in MAX.

I have an application where I have 2 6501s fed through a USB hub. The two 6501s are configured for different tasks. I created aliases for both, then exported the configuration file to our network. The application will be run on several different test station computers later. At one of the test stations during development I imported the configuration file from the network and my program runs fine MOST of the time. Occasionally MAX cannot recognize the DAQs when they’re connected. When I click on an alias, MAX does a REFRESH for several minutes, and when that stops I do the Self Test and it fails telling me the device is not connected, but it IS connected. This applies to both 6501s. Rebooting the pc USUALLY cures this problem. One time rebooting didn’t. I disconnected the DAQs (hub) and tried to delete the aliases and start over, but the DELETE option didn’t appear when I right clicked on the alias. Only after rebooting with DAQs disconnected could I right click, delete, then reconnect the DAQs and import the config file, replacing the Dev1 and Dev2, and it worked properly. Why does this problem occur to begin with? What must I do to make the computer recognize the 6501s RELIABLY?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(3,052 Views)

Hi hammer3,

Mind if I ask if all these computers are using the same software versions? If so, may I know what OS they are running on and what are the LabVIEW, DAQmx and NI MAX versions that they are running on?

Warmest regards,

Lennard.C

Learning new things everyday...
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(3,030 Views)

Yes you may ask. All are using Windows XP, Labview 2011.

DAQmx 9.6, and MAX 5.4 are on the computer which exported the configuration file, and DAQmx 9.8 and MAX 5.5 are on those that imported it.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(3,021 Views)

If you bypass the USB hub and plug the USB-6501 directly into a USB port on your computer do you experience the same behavior? USB hubs sometimes cannot supply the power needed since these devices are bus powered. 

Nathan Murphy
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(3,016 Views)

Bypassing the hub in this case is not an option, and the hub has its own externally supplied power replacing the USB power.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(3,013 Views)

You may want to try upgrading both systems to the same version of DAQmx and then do a new export.  The data in the export is versioned, so we have to upgrade or downgrade it anytime the versions are different.  Its possible something in the upgrade process is going awry.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(3,010 Views)

I exported the data from the newer DAQmx version test station to our LAN, and imported it from there, and having the same problem.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(2,980 Views)

MAke sure Windows isn't shutting down the HUB Power.

Control panel

Device Manager

USB Hub>>Properties/Power Management options

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(2,973 Views)

I read somewhere in a posting for related issues that I should disable Device Manager, which I did. I'll try enabling it.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(2,963 Views)

@hammer3 wrote:

I read somewhere in a posting for related issues that I should disable Device Manager, which I did. I'll try enabling it.

No no no.... Disable the power management options using the Windows device manager.  Big differenceSmiley Surprised

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(2,952 Views)