LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

N5771A DC Power Supply Control through LABVIEW

I'm looking at getting at the N5771A DC Power Supply from Keysight and am looking to control this through LABVIEW. Could someone tell me how I go about doing this? Installing the specific driver from the Keysight website would suffice or is there anything else I need to do? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,959 Views)

You can search for 3rd party instrument drivers, which are usually a collection of LabVIEW VIs designed for controlling your device. There are some for your device here: http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.download_page?p_id_guid=35046833B7872E93E0440003BA7CCD...

These happen to be NI Supported and Certified, which is probably the best case scenario for you, so it should be easy to get talking to your device.

All devices need drivers installed to communicate with the computer. Sometimes they are pretty standard and already on your computer. Other times they will download automatically when you plug the device in, but other times you need to install from the manufacturer. 

Your best bet is to install any driver you get from the manufacturer, plug your device in, and try to use it with the manufacturer's software. Then open NI MAX, open a test a panel to the device, and try a simple command. If it uses standard SCPI commands you can try something like *IDN? which should identify the device. Otherwise, reference the "programmer's manual" to find some commands to try. If that works, try running some LabVIEW examples or functions from the drivers link above. If you can't get communication in MAX, look at the readme that comes with the LabVIEW drivers, there might be something special you have to do (but for Agilent / keysight devices there usually isn't). 

Message 2 of 2
(1,938 Views)