LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My FP2010 reboots after running my app for a few minutes.

My Startup.exe launches ok on my FP2010. After a few minutes it reboots by itself...
I also noticed that this happens when it is running ok and I try to get into it via Labview to monitor it.
I find that the FP2010 reboots aften if there is a programming error. Also I notice it to reboot or flash the red light when I've configured the priorities in a certain way. Is this normal? How can I debug these issues so I can avoid doing things that will cause it to reboot or halt with the red light.

This is my first venture into RT and it is very frustrating. Having programmed LV apps for 7 years, I find that I'm back to square 1 with this RT stuff. It reminds me of LV3.0 for windows when it first came out, crashed al
l the time. What is the key thing that I'm doing wrong to cause all this?

Michael Aivaliotis
VI Shots LLC
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,434 Views)
Michael,
I is likely that you are running your FP 2010 out of RAM while the program executes. This can be due to any number of programming issues. I have included below some nice suggestions to maximize your RT programming efficiency:

- Preallocate arrays before any loops, use Replace Array Subset in the loop combined with shift registers
- Avoid invoking the LV memory manager in a loop, avoid the Build Array function, avoid auto-indexing
- Do not use auto-indexing on For or While loops (causes memory usage to continually increase)
- Use shift registers for data storage to pass information from one iteration of the loop to the next (like static variables)
- Do not use the Error Handler VI's on the embedded code, these are tremendous memory hogs
- Consider w
hether each VI should be reentrant (separate copy in memory for each instance), or nonreentrant (only one copy-- a shared resource)
- Use the "targetmeminfo=true" flag in LabVIEW.ini to monitor memory usage while the VI runs. Memory usage should not increase over time. You may also use the Profile VIs tool to examine how much memory is being used by each subVI
- Periodically use Show VI Hierarchy during development to examine which subVIs are included in the project, and where they are stored on disk (Full VI Path in Label)

There's also a nice KB entry about the same topic here:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/devzone.nsf/webcategories/FF5AFEBDF291757A862568CD0065F0FD?opendocument&node=dz52104_us
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,434 Views)