LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple version of NI-RIO co-existing?

I have both LabVIEW 2012 and 2013 installed on my computer. For one project that I am working on I developed with LV 2012. That has some device drivers associated and one of them is NI-RIO 12.1. Then I would like to build an installer with that whle still in LV 2012. During that I get the prompt from LV that tells me the device driver of NI-RIO 12.1 is missing from my computer. And with that reason the application building has to be terminated. When I go back to MAX I realize the only version of NI-RIO I have available is 13.0 but not the 12.1 that is required. And that old version is somehow overwritten by this new one when LV 2013 is installed. However, from the listed programs that has been installed on my computer in Windows Control Panel I did see both of them under the name of National Instruments Software.

So my question is, if it is possible to have multiple version of device dirvers co-existing in one computer.

Thank you for any of your suggestions.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,490 Views)

Greetings stevensung

There can’t be multiple versions of NI-RIO co-existing in the same computer. With that said, it is possible to install different versions of NI RIO on the real time target itself, depending on your version of installed NI RIO and LabVIEW environment.

However, according to this document, you should be good with just NI-RIO 2013. Could you tell us why do you need NI RIO 12.1?

Luis J.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,438 Views)

Virtual machines are great for this when using TCP/IP. You can create a virtual machine, load 2012 into it, and communicate with the RIO from there. I support an older machine with an older realtime controller that is no longer supported in the new software using this method. Keeps you drivers separate form the newer ones installed.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,431 Views)

Luis,

Thank you for your reply. Actually I don't care what version of NI-RIO to use for my application, It could be either 12.0 or 13.0 which both are compatable with LV 2012 sp1. The problem is only version 12.1 is listed in the additional NI drivers to install in the application builder for the installer creation. If there were version 13.0 of NI-RIO I will have it selected but I don't see it there. And that missing part prevents me from finishing the installer gereration. Do you have any clue how I could have this fixed?

Tao

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,423 Views)