From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple user accounts access the same running LabVIEW test executive

We have a test executive that has to run over a period of 2 days.  We need technicians to access the test executive during this test run but due to changes of the IT department, we need to have this application be controllable through different user accounts.  Has someone come up with a solution for this?

I was thinking of using remote panel but wasn't sure if this would work the way we want.  If the remote panel popped up another panel, will it display that panel?  I recall long time ago that it didn't work.. it only displayed the one panel.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,342 Views)

I don't think you can do that on a single PC.  One thing you could do is run a pc and then have people send and receive data and commands from their own PCs and user accounts.  You can set up a network shared variable that acts as a server to relay data back and forth or you can set up a tcp connection between the host and client pcs.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,267 Views)

You can do it (I think) if you build and install a "core" program as a service and talk to it via clients that each user will launch. It's going to be tricky to do this, but it can be done. It will require fully rewriting a significant part of your program, unfortunately:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Run-LabVIEW-executable-when-user-logs-off/td-p/966790

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000004AUiSAM&l=en-US

Search "LabVIEW run as service" to get more options. In short, you'll need to create a service exe the normal way, then configure it as a service using a 3rd party tool (the link above is one example, there may be more).

You will then need to create a GUI that each user can run that talks to the service in some way; probably via TCP/IP, but you might be able to use simple text files if the service isn't doing a whole lot. TCP or network streams would be more flexible in the long run.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,263 Views)