LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple front panels in the same program.

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi

I want to make a program that has three steps. The first asks for file location and file name, the second step asks initiates hardware and the final step is the actual running software.

I want all the data from the first two steps to be transferred to the third step so they have to be avaliable globaly.

Oh and as you proceed through the steps it must close it but keep the variables.

Sorry if it is a bit confusing, please asks me if theres anything more you need to know. any help would be great.

Thanks

D_e

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,894 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author destructive_engineer

Destructive...

Use a Tab control on your front panel.  One tab for file, one for hardware init, and one for run.  You will only have one block diagram so the data is readily available. Just wire it where it needs to go.

It sounds like you are new to LabVIEW.  If you have not done so, take a bit of time to work through the on-line tutorials for gettng started with LV. It willsave you a lot of time and frustration.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,892 Views)

Yes i am quite new to labview all though i have the main program working and it does everything i want i just want to make it user friendly so i decided to do it in steps.

therefore the user has to put the information in before they can proceed.

im still trying to grasp all the functions labview has to offer. some things labview make so easy others i would rather program in C lol.

I will try the tab thing but i dont want the user to be able to cycle throught the tabs so im hoping i can disable user interaction and make the program control the tabs.

I will give it a go now!

thanks 

D_e

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,888 Views)

Athough I don't normally recommend MOST express vi's "Prompt user for input" and "Prompt for file name" might be just what you want

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 4 of 9
(3,886 Views)

You can use property nodes to disable individual pages.

You can make the Tab Control an indicator and write to its terminal on the block diagram to change pages.

And what Jeff said.

Lots of options.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,880 Views)

Yea cheers guys i will mess around and get back to you.

Thanks for the quick replys if you think of anything else let me know

Thanks

D_e

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,877 Views)

Tabs worked great!!!!!!!

Thanks!!!

D_e

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,866 Views)

Tabs probably do the job, but you might find Jeff's answer is a better one long term for programming. If user interaction is available then the express VIs he mentioned, or dialogue type boxes or even sub VIs which are called (you wire out the values you need later) before any other interaction might be more elegant. It is possible to launch VIs and then clse them programatically.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,838 Views)

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your help!

I did do it using tabs and its working perfectly i just controlled the tabs from the block diagram and got rid of the tab selection on the front panel so it looks like its going to another page.

I am still learning all the functions this software has to offer, most of them I understand due to having programming experience but I find the structure the hardest to get my head around (guess im used to text based lol) there is still alot more to learn so I guess alot more reading!!

Thanks alot

D_e

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,820 Views)