LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple application instances without exe

Solved!
Go to solution

I want to create a client and server test case which both rely on unique CVT instances.  The way I would normally do this is to compile one into an exe and run the other in the dev environment.  But, can this be done without an exe or having access to the application builder?

Basically, what I'm asking is, within the same dev environment, can two application instances exist to "My Computer " at the same time?

thanks,

XL600

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,738 Views)

My understanding is that you can - this is what a lot of in-built App Instances do (for example - UTF runs the unit tests in a new Application Instance, VIs run from the Tools menu run in their own App Instance etc. and can access the default App Instance). Creating your own Application Instances and other useful API functions is a bit trickier - I believe that this is only possible by using so-called "private" or "brown" functions for which there is no official support. There are some posts on LAVA from people more knowledgeable than I on how to leverage this without shooting your foot off. Whether this is your best option is debatable though.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,727 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author xl600

If you have separate projects they should run in separate instances.

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,684 Views)

Each project is indeed a separate instance, in fact even each target inside a project. To create your own instances you indeed will need to dig into undocumented area as pointed out by tyk. And debugging this is a somewhat painful experience as you need to not only code with all the extra complications of separate instances in mind, but also debug it outside of the original project, which makes certain tools difficult to use.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 4 of 6
(2,675 Views)

That seems simpe enough then.  A project for the client and a separate project for the server on the same target, both running at the same time.  Can there be two targets to "my computer " in the same project?

Thanks!

xl600

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,654 Views)

@xl600 wrote:

That seems simpe enough then.  A project for the client and a separate project for the server on the same target, both running at the same time.  Can there be two targets to "my computer " in the same project?

Unfortunately not that I'm aware of.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,641 Views)