From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi-User Environment

Dear all,

In the past half year i made a couple of medium sized Labview Programs for Lab-Applications. In our Lab, whe have 18 workbenches where the use equipement in combination whith Labview (I'm promoting it).
I would like to know if i can store my labview application on a network drive so that everybody can acces it and use it at the same time. For example:

If i have an simple Vi that can communicate with a Multimeter trough GPIB, can 2 user use it at the same time ? Should i install all my modules on the harddisk of the users, or is Labview capable of handling a multi-user enviroment?

Thank you in advance,

IJnte de Jong
Press "F" to format your disk, or "F" to cancel.
Message 1 of 18
(3,153 Views)

Hi,

the easy way is just create a application or a exe and put it up on the server so that all your 18 guys can use it ,there is no problem in using it this way ,we have been using a lot of test programs across the globe by putting it up on our server and acessing it from many places.

vicky

Message 2 of 18
(3,140 Views)
So i can put my "Main" Vi on the server (//servername/Labview/Program/Main.vi) and everybody can use this vi (and sub-Vi's) at the same time ? That would be great. Offcoure i must make the file read-only. Or is there a good way to prevent the Vi from being changed?
Message 3 of 18
(3,137 Views)

Hey,

You will have to create a Application or EXE and not the VI.

vicky

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(3,130 Views)
Mmm.. Do i need special software for that such as Labview Run-Time ?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(3,129 Views)
Hello,

the runtime lib is included with labview or (if not) can be downloaded from www.ni.com.

But you will need the PDS (prof develeopment system) version of labview to create an exe...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(3,122 Views)
And don't forget - although you have the same program, you may have hardware which may be different connected, configured, ... at each workbench.

Thomas
Using LV8.0
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't be afraid to rate a good answer... 😉
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(3,118 Views)

Hi ,

The labview runtime is free on the net ,all machines which have to run the application need this to be installed,what version of LV do u have i mean do u have the application builder installed.then you can create an application or exe.

If you create a exe automatically LV runtime is also installed by the installer.

vicky

Message 8 of 18
(3,118 Views)

The runtime is not installed just if you create a exe-file. You have to create an installer and there you can include the runtime to be installed.

Using LV8.0
Don't be afraid to rate a good answer... 😉
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(3,115 Views)
On every computer we are running Labview 6.0.2 (within 2 month 7.1). So it doesn't have to work on a computer without labview.
Message 10 of 18
(3,113 Views)