cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Subpanel to new Windows

Solved!
Go to solution

Hey guys,

I use a tab control in nearly every front panel of my applications. For example there´s a tab for all measurements and another tab for controlling something or whatever. Now I would like to have more scalable programmes which means that the user is enabled to open such a tab in another window. An example might be that he wants move the measurement tab to another screen but keep the rest of the front panel on the current one.

My first idea is to separate the whole measurement code from the controlling code in two different VIs. Then use a subpanel on the front panel of my main application which works like a tab control. So the user can choose whether he likes to see the measurement front panel or the controlling front panel within this subpanel. When he clicks a butten - let´s say 'open in new window' - I open the front panel of the currently shown VI programmatically.

I guess that could work just fine. My question is: Is there any easier way to do that? Is there any nature LabVIEW function that allows opening a particular front panel object in another window?

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,188 Views)
Solution

There are lots of ways you could begin to do this in LabVIEW.  Perhaps the easiest way is to get started using what someone else has already done.  Check out the VIBox XControls add on available here:

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/210715

You could either use their implementation, or use it as the base to create your own.

Message 2 of 6
(3,151 Views)

Thank you very much!

I´ve already implemented my idea which works perfect. But I will definitely check out VIBox in the upcoming days. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,145 Views)
Solution

In this thread I posted a zip showing one approach.

Have fun!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 4 of 6
(3,136 Views)

Thanks! I´ll check that out, too.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,123 Views)

Guys, I took a look at your suggestions and decided to stick with my own solution. Which by the way is very similar to your example Ben.

Thank you both!

Message 6 of 6
(3,105 Views)