LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Objects with Mouse using Dynamic Event Registration

LabBEAN wrote:

Ben wrote:

So a wrapper for each AE method is consistant with "High Cohesion" correct?

So let me first say I'm speaking from the experience of seeing some nasty AEs -- AEs that keep all this data on the shift register for no apparent purpose.  Creating wrappers in that case just seems like extra work.  Why not call the subVIs in each of the AE cases directly?

By creating wrappers for AEs, we've masked the public problem, but we still have a private one.  Maybe that's okay...

If you have to protect the queue reference, then the only option is an AE (or LVCLASS).  Get the reference inside the AE and don't pass it out.  But, in the case discussed here, he's passing out the reference.

I guess I just like following the "rules" whenever possible so that the code is consistent in case other developers have to take a peek. 

Message Edited by LabBEAN on 04-29-2010 01:56 PM

Re:...all this data...

I try to apply data normilization rules to the design of my data sets for AE so I do try to avoid that.

Re: ...creating wrappers... why not just call the sub-VI

Data encapuslation

Protecting a single shared resource (the data)

Working in-place and avoiding memory copies and the reprecusions in apps with large data sets.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 31 of 32
(981 Views)

Ben wrote:

Please feel free to lecture me on anything I said wrong there since my education was Physics, Material Science, and Electrical Engineering and all of the "gang of Four" stuff was being taught/written in another building across campus from where I hung out.

And this is why some say, and I agree, that Ben is the most lovable member of the forums.  11629 posts and yet always looking for ways to learn.

Thanks for instructing us...

Certified LabVIEW Architect
TestScript: Free Python/LabVIEW Connector

One global to rule them all,
One double-click to find them,
One interface to bring them all
and in the panel bind them.
Message 32 of 32
(962 Views)