LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Most recommendable Labview version with Windows XP

Hi,

Is there a portable version of Labview? If it is not, what is the most recommedable Labview version to install using Windows XP and 1,5 Gb RAM memory? I would like to connect a device (using RS232 port) in order to use a vi file I found for working with this device.

Thanks in advanced.

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 29
(10,475 Views)
What do you mean be a "portable" version of LabVIEW?

Looking at

LabVIEW 2015 SP1 is still compatible with Windows XP.  So I would use that.  Perhaps 2016 would work, but the document doesn't mention 2016 at all.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 29
(10,469 Views)

Thank you for your answer.

I meant the computer where I want to install LabView has a poor performance and low hardware requirements. For that reason, I thought about a portable LabView version. This computer hasn't Internet connection and the license won't work. Here other question, without Internet connection and none Labview version installed, what can I do?

I have a .vi file and I would like to try it in the same computer where the device is connected via rs232

Is there any way?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 29
(10,447 Views)

I still don't know what you mean by portable.

If you don't have an internet connection on this ancient computer, you could try using a floppy disk to transfer your files.

It sounds like you should try to make an executable out of your VI using application builder.  You will still need to create and installer and include the LabVIEW run-time engine and the VISA run-time engine and install them on the computer using your floppy drive.

If the computer truly has poor performance and low hardware requirements, it sounds like it is time to upgrade that PC.  Even Microsoft doesn't support WinXP anymore.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 29
(10,438 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:
Perhaps 2016 would work, but the document doesn't mention 2016 at all.

I can't find the exact documentation, but I am certain that NI has dropped support for XP, Vista, Windows Server 2003, and pre-SP1 of Windows 7 with the August 2016 release for all of their software.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 29
(10,424 Views)

No version of LabVIEW is portable.  This is a relativly large programming language, with many different plugins, drivers, optional APIs, and toolkits.  You can use something like Thinapp to try to make a portable version but it will likely need more resources than installing the development environment on the system.

You also didn't mention if this was intended on being a deployment only system.  If that is the case I'd say you'd have more success, but the NI software suites are large and have many dependencies that would make this difficult.  Just stick with installing an older version of LabVIEW and devlop on it.  If it is for EXEs only you'll see a performance improvement over a full IDE but may run into other issues.

Oh and maybe you should start with a virtual machine first.  

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 29
(10,416 Views)

Thanks for the answers.

My intention is to use this computer to run the program created by a VI (the executable) not for developing. For now, it is not possible to buy a new computer and in this one we have others devices which work fine in the lab. For that reason I would like to use some vi applications for a new device, but without installing all Labview programs and components.

I think I am going to make an executable using application builder (using other computer where I have installed LabView) as RavenFan said.

I'm not sure, what is the difference between LabView run-time engine and VISA run-time engine?

Do I need to install both to run the executable?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 29
(10,347 Views)

If your application uses VISA, then you need to install VISA runtime engine too, after installing LAbVIEW RTE. But it is just much easier if you let LV decide what you need to install: first create your EXE, after that you can create a stand-alone installer package where you select the previously built EXE. There is an option to select, and LV will tell you what Runtime things/drivers are required for your application. In this way you will get an installer package (several hundreds of MB usually) which can be installed on a "naked" PC, and you do not need to install anything else...

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 29
(10,329 Views)

VISA is for communication with GPIB, VXI, PXI, Serial, Ethernet, or USB interfaces. If you are not using any of those, you will not be needing the VISA runtime. You will always need the Labview runtime.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 29
(10,327 Views)

If you have application builder, and you make an EXE, you can include all the special runtime engines that your application uses automatically (starting in 2014 I think).  Before that you just would manually select the runtime engines to include.  Then you will have a single installer, with all runtime engines, and your application which can be put on any fresh Windows machine and use your program.  You can include any extra drivers as well for things like DAQmx if you use them.

Just be sure and check that the version you use is compatibile with XP.  NI recently dropped support for XP in 2016, and so any EXE or installer made from LabVIEW 2016 won't be compatibile with XP and won't install without some extra work to force it to.

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/LV-2016-Known-Issue-583670-Can-I-really-no-longer-build-for-Win7/td...

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 29
(10,314 Views)