From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modify a VI from spreadsheet or similar.

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I am looking to modify a VI such that I can add this into a TestStand Sequence and have access to a drop-down list based on information from a spreadsheet.  A very simplistic example of what I'll be using this for, is having a spreadsheet that includes rows with unique: User Names, User IDs, User Station locations, etc.

I want to add this VI into a TestStand sequence and have the ability to select from a drop down list of all User Names, prior to running the TS seq.  Based on which User Name is selected I will pass along the User IDs in the background.  User Names might be the same, so that will also need to be considered, since I am using the index of the selected name to dump out other contents.

I know how to do this by having a VI come up during TS execution and read in from a spreadsheet, but this is not an ideal case for the implementation that I am going for.  Ideally I can programatically create the VI, but this might be tricky since I will need to either preconfigure the control/indicators/tunnelling and somehow update contents then save the VI with the new contents somehow.

Another, potentially easier approach might be if it is possible to somehow fill/update + save a TypeDef or Enum w/in a VI with contents from a spreadsheet.  I could just create a an enumerated list for each item like User Name, User ID, etc.

Any advice on this approach would be appreciated.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(941 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(925 Views)

zou.  I appreciate the feedback.  I was only using this as a rough example, my spreadsheet will be far more complex.  I might have picked a bad example in this case, there will be no User Names/IDs in my actual implementation.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(899 Views)

Actually, I believe if I were able to convert a 1D array to an enum I should also be able to make this work.  I am digging into this now.  If anyone has any feedback here I would appreciate it.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(873 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author NI_User_11108

Can't do this with an enum, use a ring instead.

George Zou
Message 5 of 6
(867 Views)

Yep, I ended up using a ring and got things working.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(865 Views)