From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modify Program Without Actual Hardware

Hi,
I'm trying to modify a LV program (.vi file) for my end user. The tricky part is the end user is using additional hardware and I/O card since they need to communicate with external equipments where as I don't have the same hardware on my development PC. So right now I can't edit the "task/channel in" that goes into each DAQmx Read or Write vi. If I were to ask the end user to send me the "configData.nce" from their test PC, and then import it into my development PC. Would I be able to see all task/channel ?
If I want to build an .exe to send back to user, does the application builder (LV 8.2) pick up the configData.nce somehow and complied it into the .exe file.? Or should it be loaded seperately into the end user PC ?
If the user has more than one station to set up, then is there a chance that my .exe file runs OK on one station but not the other due to hardware conflict ?
Thank you
dphan128
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,575 Views)
Maybe you can use simulated devices. See:

(Sorry, I don't know the answer to the other questions).
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,569 Views)
Hi,

You can simulate the NI devices to be able to debug the VI's. Follow the link from the previous post to learn more about simulated devices and how to use them. If there is any third party device being used then you will not be able to simulate it in MAX(measurement & Automation Explorer).

As for building an exe, I would copy over the configuration file separately. You do not benefit from having it included in the .exe

Make sure that your end user has all stations set up identically if you will be loading a configuration file onto all of them.
I hope this helps!
Regards,

Ima
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
LabVIEW Introduction Course - Six Hours
Getting Started with NI-DAQmx
Message 3 of 5
(2,534 Views)

Thank you Ima,

I heard that you can remotely edit the .vi file at the user PC using Web Server function. Does it make sense to do that way ? How do I set up the communication ?

Thanks

dphan128

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,492 Views)
Hi,

Remote panel web server allows you to view and control VI's remotely using a web browser.  If this is your goal then you should take a look a this NI Developer Zone
article that describes Remote front panel in more detail.

There is also a Demo that you should take a look at the gain a better understanding of remote front panel web server application in LabVIEW.
Regards,

Ima
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
LabVIEW Introduction Course - Six Hours
Getting Started with NI-DAQmx
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,443 Views)